Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

got to be a good thing

singlespeedman

• 2 weeks later...
just spotted it myself, potentially good news, especially for me on the outskirts of Birmingham!
The new LED road lights they're installing in Birmingham, via Amey's £2.7Bn PFI are supposed to cut down on erroneous light pollution.

I won't hold my breath.

Unfortunately I think LP is here to stay. There are just too many lights out there controlled by too many people!! Even in these tough economical times companies still seem to be willing to pay to light up their office blocks all night long. :)

maybe not - get them on our side and just ban cars at night. Even less pollution

And many times safer :)

But then, I don't think H&S is really about H&S, it's almost entirely to do with preventing someone suing someone else.

I'm feeling a bit sensitive to light pollution issues at the moment, as we had a circular through the letterbox the other day from Skanska, contractors hired by our local council (Lewisham) to tell us about exciting new environmentally friendly street lighting that they are fitting. I'm in favour of more efficient lighting but what alarmed me was that (a) it's going to be white light, so much harder or even impossible to filter, and (:) the poles are going to be taller than the existing ones. My back garden, although only just south of the South Circular and within an Inner London borough, is shielded from all direct street light pollution. I'm worried the new lights will peep over into the garden and cast a light that can't be filtered out. I'm thinking even more seriously about getting out of London after over 20 years here.

On the other hand, if the lights are directional and shine down onto the pavements, we mgiht be OK. And if they're all going to be computer-controlled, there may be some scope for dimming them - perhaps between midnight and dawn.

On the other hand, if the lights are directional and shine down onto the pavements, we mgiht be OK. And if they're all going to be computer-controlled, there may be some scope for dimming them - perhaps between midnight and dawn.
This is what the new LED lights in Birmingham are allegedly supposed to do i.e. to directionally point light where it is needed and not into the atmosphere or leaking out of the sides. From my own experience with LED lights using GU10 fittings in the home, they certainly don't leak out the sides and if you want to read by them, you'd better be underneath one!! However, their green credentials are more about low power consumption than anything else per se. Let's see what Amey's approach does in Birmingham once they've finished their 25-year program of replacement under the very expensive £2.7Bn PFI give-away. I don't know how it will be affordable mind to us Brummies mind.
I won't hold my breath.
Please don't pastiche. It's distincly unhealthy afer a while :hello2::):D

Archived