Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

messy mirror

I have been out tonight but i quit as the temperature dropped quite rapid, unfortunatly i think i made a mistake bringing the tube back inside immediatly, i didn;t consider the heat in the house and now the mirror looks really messy, i could even say milky of thats possible.

What should i do just leave it or try and clean it with somehting???

Skywatcher 150P by the way, any help would be appreciated

If you find your mirrors full of dew once brought back from garden into a warm house just use a hairdryer for 10 minutes or so to blow onto the main mirrror. ALWAYS start on a cold setting and build up to a low heat to prevent any thermal shock. I've always allowed 10 mins at the end of every observing session no matter what . Once dew is removed keep warming up the mirror for a few more minutes to allow it to absorb some heat into it's mass. You can then recap the scope if you wish. In fact I do this even when dew not evident as it prevents formation taking place whilst you are in bed!

Cheers

Dave

To stop the mirror from getting smeared as dew dries on it - tilt the tube downwards so drips takes water away from it. Pop a cloth on the floor to catch the drips. Don't be tempted to clean the mirror unless you know what you're doing (loads of threads if you search for mirror cleaning). It's a delicate operation and you don't want to damage the coatings :D

Thanks for all the info i put it in the kitchen out of the way from children and animals, about an hour later it looked fine.

I have noticed however since it dried it does not look really clean, dust maybe on the mirror and other small bits of micro rubbish, what should i do leave it alone or give it a clean somehow, it does not seem to affect the scope !!!

I did a clean years ago on my SN10.... Didn't need it, but I like taking things apart:D

Most mirrors are covered in dust.. Just leave alone. Shining a torch down the tube is too scary.. Shows up everything..

Trust me, dust and the odd spider does not affect mirror performance.

Greg

Archived