Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS with binoculars

Jammy

It's very bright to the naked eye so yes it can be seen in binoculars, easy to find if you know when and where to look. I've not seen any detail even with x15 other than to see it is a rectangular shape.

I have a number of Android apps for it, I'm think the Heavens Above one is best so have a search for that on the market.

Stu

Wow! I saw the ISS tonight. In all honesty, I've probably seen it before and didn't know what I was looking at. That was amazing to see.

I used the Heavens Above app too on my Android mobile. I liked it so much I downloaded the paid version.

Can't wait for the next pass!

I do enjoy seeing the ISS go by and imagining what the occupants might be up to. I just wish I'd been into sky gazing in the days of the shuttle and seeing them together :D

If you are an iPhone user, look up the free GoAtlantis app- it'll give you ISS passes with times, simulations of its pass trajectory and much more :(

We had 3 passes in 2 days in Middle Earth;

23/02/12....19.46-19.48..along the ecliptic , close to Venus and Jupiter, then blinked out overhead.

24/02/12....18.50...above the ecliptic,passing Mecury crescent Moon, Venus and Jupiter right over to the Eastern horizon.Then appeared in a low arc a few hours later, very red in appearance.

LeeB tracked it in an 8" Dob and saw details of the main structure and the solar panel details, nice.

Hi Doug, in Stellarium press F2 (config menu), go to the Plugins tab at the top, select 'Satellites' from the list on the left, tick the box on the lower right to load on startup, then click 'configure' which is next to it, tick the 'update from the internet' box, then click 'Update now'.

Back in the main Stellarium window, at the bottom where the viewing controls are, there is a button with a horizontal line with a vertical line crossing its centre. Click this to toggle satellites on and off, or use 'Ctrl' + 'Z'

You should be good to go!

I don't know about the accuracy of the tracks for a fact, but it's seems good enough for me ;)

The accuracy appears good to me as well - it was certainly spot on for the pass last Saturday evening. To see where it is at any particular time you can search for ISS - but it only seems to find it when you have the satellite icon highlighted on the toolbar. If I feel like looking for it I do a search on Heavens Above to see when it is next visible in my location then I go forward in Stellarium to find where it will actually be as I dont really understand how to find it from the Alt and AZ figures. Stellarium puts a nice arc on the screen to show where it will appear and the route it will follow.

• 1 year later...

I saw the ISS today through my 10x50s, and I'm sure I saw some shape! I wasn't expecting it, as I assumed it would still just be a dot of light. It had a definite cross shape, difficult to make out for sure, but I guess I was seeing the solar panels!

Amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

I never tire of watching the ISS glide over though I've never really thought that I could make out any shape with bins even though they are x18. It was always great to occasionally see the shuttle flying in tandem too, but my most memorable view was when the timing was right to see the shuttle immediately after launch. There were various 'bits' all flying in formation and the orange colour of the separated fuel tank was clear. A truly memorable sight.

Kerry

• 9 months later...

Spotted the ISS with the naked eye yesterday, and have seen hints of detail through the big bins. Usually it is just a rectangular shape, but when the glare is reduced when it passes behind thin clouds it seemed to show a bit more detail (like two parallel brighter stripes, rather than a single rectangle).

Archived