Narrowband

10th Kielder Forest Star Camp - Northumberland

Dixie

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, had a great day yesterday at the castle , very interesting talks , i liked Robbie's Kielder deep view talk and after, the vivid aurora green pix taken in Iceland , very nice .

I also had a bit pocket money with me :) and got a bahtinov mask for my ED80 & a set of stronger alt. bolts for my mount from one of the vendor stalls .

I also felt my wallet get hotter & hotter as i got close to the 6" William optics APO refractor on one of the stalls, but rational thinking part of my brain switched on and i kept away from it, hehe :D , nice to see one in the flesh tho , web pix don't relate the sheer size .

Met up later with Keith from sunderland astro & Mike from our borders club for a cuppa.

Good day out on the Saturday , looking forward to the March event already.

Dave.

Thanks to everyone who came and made the best of the deluge we had Thursday - truly the Glastonbury astro event of the north. And thanks to Dave above, narrowband Dave, Robbie, John, Roo and Glen for their talks, as well as Green Witch, Ian King Imaging, Astronomica and Astrodevelopments - all traders on the main day. I'll be posting a gallery when the pix come in - including the ducks.

By the way the six inch refractor was sold to a bloke with ...err another six inch refractor.

Richard

Just back from another superb event, it was even glorious to pack up in. I can only add my own huge thanks to the organisers - you know who you are. It was ace to meet up with old friends and make some new ones.

I'll echo everything that has been said already - a visit to Kielder_ is a must and you even forget the torrential Thursday and the mini lakes it produced when you have a night like Friday.

Thanks also for all the nice feedback on my Kielder Deep Field talk - it was fun to do and humbling to get that kind of feedback.

Roll on the spring event.

best regards, Rob

Hi All

Can't agree more, well done to Richard and the team again. What a fabulous night Friday was, crawled to bed at 4.30am after the ice was making it difficult to keep the gear on the table. The views of Jupiter just got better as the night went on. Also had a great time with Kenny, Peter and Darren. Looking forward to the rest of the events over the winter.

Dave

Another big thanks to everyone who attended Kielder and made it the event it is.

Conditions on the Thursday night weren't too bad as long as you slept on an airbed. They float you see :)

Some great talks. A big thanks to Roo and Glen for explaining which chip does what and how it works. Robbie for his Kielder Deep Field and how he emulated the Hubble. Would you believe he thought it might be boring for some so kept it short ?? John for explaining how cunning, bi polar, broken hearts, skulduggery and chocolate can get an observatory built ! Dangerous - Dave and his Iceland trip to capture some sublime Aurora images. Oh, and some guy giving a quick talk about information on the web.

For those that left Sunday day, you only missed the rain :)

Cheers to all,

Dave.

It was my first visit to Kielder and the Friday night was fantastic. I managed to polar align my mount and align my scope properly for the first time, or at least well enough for visual use. It found every object I put into the handset with varying degrees of visual success. Some of the doubles and clusters looked amazing and the Pleiades was very impressive through my 32mm panaview ep although I did struggle with nebulae and galaxies. :smiley:

Even getting flooded has not put me off returning. Many thanks to Kev, Lynne, Paul, Richard, Dave and everyone else who made us both feel very welcome. Since the basic imaging talk on Friday I have ordered an adaptor ring and T adaptor for my wife's EOS550D and a book off ebay Digital Slr Astrophotography by Michael Covington.

Adam

Horsehead Nebula from Kielder Starcamp 2012

Horsehead Nebula

Canon 60Da with telephoto lens @ f 7

3 x 600sec

No Flat Frames

No Dark Frames

3 x 600 sec exposures - 2 with satellite trails (cloned out) & 1 stained blue with daylight fast approaching.

8104191423_1d55ac6b43_o.jpg

Horsehead Nebula from Kielder Autumn Starcamp 2012 by mikeyscope, on Flickr

Pleiades Cluster in the constellation Taurus - from Kielder Autumn Starcamp 2012

Canon 60Da with telephoto lens @ f 7

4 x 600sec @ iso800

No Flat Frames

No Dark Frames

(Quick & Dirty)

8120743057_88ec0e9df5_o.jpg

Pleiades Cluster - from Kielder Autumn Starcamp 2012 by mikeyscope, on Flickr

North America & Gamma Cygni Region of Milkyway through the constellation Cygnus.

The Dumbell Nebula M27 can be seen lower right as a blue ball across the constellation border into Vulpecula - from Kielder Autumn Starcamp 2012

Canon 60Da with 70mm lens @ f 7

1 x 600sec @ iso800

No Flat Frames

No Dark Frames

(Quick & Dirty)

8127146831_18181ebf7a_o.jpg

Cygnus from Kielder Autumn Starcamp 2012 by mikeyscope, on Flickr

Sorry for missing image...have re-processed! :color:

North America & Gamma Cygni Region of Milkyway through the constellation Cygnus.

The Dumbell Nebula M27 can be seen lower right as a blue ball across the constellation border into Vulpecula - from Kielder Autumn Starcamp 2012

Canon 60Da with 70mm lens @ f 7

1 x 600sec @ iso800

No Flat Frames

No Dark Frames

(Quick & Dirty)

8133458029_4a446cf3ec_o.jpg

Cygnus from Kielder Autumn Starcamp 2012 by mikeyscope, on Flickr

Rob

Thanks for kind feedback....now that I've had some practice with the Canon 60Da and getting some practice with DSLR's in general I now obviously need to stack more frames ...plus darks & flats so images should now get smoother. :undecided:

Bish

Thanks...it's an AP1200 on a field tripod....guiding with an Sbig STV autoguider on an Takahashi FS-60C.......very happy with the Canon 60Da so far! :smiley:

Dave

Yes see you at usual site but will be December now as off on a cruise to the Med during November....ahhhh...it's such a hard life! :grin:

Mike

Archived