Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Contacting Farmers

DarkerSky

I'm considering contacting some local farms in my area to see if i can get me a secure dark sky location for observing.

I'm thinking that my criteria for a spot would be:

1- Vehicle access

2 - Distance from road lighting and farm security lighting

3 - A decent southern horizon (!)

Has anyone got experience approaching farms? Any tips?

Depends on how open-minded people you intend to approach...here in CZ, one land owner jumped into his car and drove to the field to tell me off for walking a dog on his (completely cropless) field, threatning me with a rake.

Can imagine that certain people will be able to call the fuzz

EDIT: No offence meant, but here, farmland ownder are mostly older people who are rather protective of their farming land ... Thanks to 40 years of communist oppression

you need to get your laws sorted down in england ... we have an outdoor access code in scotland Scottish Outdoor Access Code - Home we have responsible access to just about anywhere in scotland wether to walk climb camp cycle ect ..

there is no reason why english people should not have the same rights of access as we do in scotland ... after all its your country . :D

My land is open for people to use but I want them to ask first so I know who is around (and thus know when someone unsavoury is possibly casing my property or livestock). Most land owners I know are of a similar mind and more than happy for people to enjoy the land. That said I've also been chastised for rock climbing on someone's land (I did think access rights had been negotiated) so it just depends on the individual.

Another reason is you don't want to set up in one of my fields that looks empty and unused only to get a load of horses charge around the corner and wreck your equipment! Which they will lol

For the Swales group pat popped up to a local farm (church farm cottage ironically next week I delivered them their shopping) and we were able to use a small paddoc) iv also seen them when iv delivers and else times and always been fine. As posters above said just ask :D if it's no fair enough but if there's people around farmer might like it to keep an eye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you need to get your laws sorted down in england ... we have an outdoor access code in scotland Scottish Outdoor Access Code - Home we have responsible access to just about anywhere in scotland wether to walk climb camp cycle ect ..

there is no reason why english people should not have the same rights of access as we do in scotland ... after all its your country . :D

LOL you have something far worse.....a tiny biting critter that makes any form of stationary, outdoor observing something less than ideal. The farmers don't need sticks went they have the Scottish midge.

In my work I have to deal with access to farm land and find the best approach is to be open and honest, drive in and speak straight away to the farmer, explain your business and dont be pushy.......... 99% are brilliant.

Enjoy

Just be polite when you approach them, explain what you would like to use their land for and tell them that noise will be kept to a minimum. Also say how many people there are likely to be and times you'll be there.

Also as a courtesy, if they say yes, let them know your vehicle details and phone them on the day you'll be going there. One more thing, ask them first if you ever want to take other astronomers there first and offer them a look through your Telescope.

Most farmers are ok as it's an extra pair of eyes on their land keeping an eye on things as well as looking out for things out of place.

Used to work for me years ago and at xmas I'd buy them a bottle of scotch just as a thank you.

Unfortunatly in England It can be seen as tresspass so be wary just wandering onto land... Remember you're trying to make a friend for his land not alienate youself and the whole astro community..

My advice would be as above, approach the farmer, be polite tell him exactly what your going to be doing..If he agrees, take him a bottle of something once in a while and you'll have a mate for life...And you'll probably get odd lamb, pork or beef joint....Or bags of swedes and potatoes!!

HTH

Greg

PS... Most of the farmers round my place are good as gold (But thats for another hobby!)..

It's the savage collies you haver to make friends with....

The key word is responsible. I'd certainly speak to a farmer before I hauled and set up a load of gear on his land even with access rights in law. There's a world of difference between crossing land and putting a scope up. A quick word saves a lot of potential aggravation.

Archived