Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which processing software?

stefski

Hi All,

I´ve been looking into options for processing my photos. I´ve used GIMP (which is free!!!) but found that a lot of info is lost when my 16bit images are converted to 8bit. I´ve done the free trial of Astroart, but it doesn´t seem to work as well as GIMP and certainly doesn´t stack my images as well as DSS did (although, admittedly, it was quicker). What should I try next? The Adobe website (for PS) shows a bewildering amount of software and I don´t know which to trial. I´ve heard of Pixinsight, but it looks a bit steep (in terms of cost). Suggestions, pros and cons would be much appreciated.

Thanks.:D

Stef

Hi Stef,

I use Nebulocity from Stark labs to do my capture, stacking and initial processing now. (I'm using version 2 but 3.0 has just been released with a price increase :-( ). It does have a free trial so you can see if it meets your needs :-) and also it allows you to save as a 16bit png so that GIMP can then do any tweeks required.

Cheers John

Archived