Rotating tube rings (or something!)

I'm just putting a set of these together at the moment as I'm sick and tired for my OTA slipping when I rotate the eyepiece to a comfortable position -something I seem to have to do a fair bit.

Im using the following system as a guide - Andy's Shot Glass - Wilson Rotating Rings - Astronomy & Astrophotography for Non-Gazillionaires

I sourced the jubilee clips from Industrial Hose | Hose Shop | Hose Distributors and am using the top cover from plastic wiring channel instead of the garden edging.

If I had a standard diameter tube I would probably just buy another set of tube rings and mod them using AstroBaby's guide Rotating Rings for Reflector Telescopes but my OTA is an old one and I cannot find any off the shelf rings to fit.

Can anybody recommend using these or not?

I want to be able to rotate the scope about its optical axis without having to loosen the tube rings.

you said its not about the ep .... why else would you want to rotate the ota then ??

as for balancing ota ...once its balanced .... its balanced ... if you add a camera and increase weight at one end ...tube rings and rotateing wont help ???? am i missing somthing here help ??:D

never tried them myself,there is somebody selling a giant jubilee clip+padding on ebay as well.to be honest i have never found its nothing a good quality diagonal cant overcome

I have thought about this solution myself for overcoming awkward viewing positions but have been led to believe that a diagonal can't be used on a reflector :D

Is this not the case then?

you said its not about the ep .... why else would you want to rotate the ota then ??

as for balancing ota ...once its balanced .... its balanced ... if you add a camera and increase weight at one end ...tube rings and rotateing wont help ???? am i missing somthing here help ??:D

Hi hemihaggis, I think this explains what I'm trying to do:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Gomtuu, are you still using this method? It it worth me trying it? Anything to be aware of?

Yes, still using this. It seems to work fine. I haven't found any obvious drawbacks to it.

Archived