Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

palebluedot

Are Coronado still any good?

I have been thinking of getting a Ha scope for a while and with Solar max around the corner I thought this summer might be about right. I was considering a PST as I wouldn't really want to spend much more. However, I have recently been warned off buying Coronado and was told that after Meade bought them out, they moved production to Mexico and the quality is nowhere near as good as it was when made in the US.

Is this the general consensus? If so, what would be a good alternative?

Edited by palebluedot

I have a Coronado Solarmax 60 II. QC is an issue because I have a big blob of glue in my blocking filter, but it doesn't affect the optics. The view and contrast are both very good.

I haven't had a chance to view through a Lunt Scope so I can't comment how they compare.

Lunt 35 would be an alternative to the PST.

The current Coronado/ Meade solar scopes are as good as you'll get...for the price.

The Mexican assembly quality is as good as Lunt, so it comes down to what you want to buy.

I recently bought a new PST and was slightly nervous having read reports about the varying quality, ' not all PST's are created equal' seemed to be the message.

I can only speak from personal experience and say that mine is very good, with no QC issues at all. The views are amazing so I would certainly encourage you to get a solar scope, whether Coronado or Lunt

Stu

I just spoke to Simon at Widescreen and he reckons the Lunt is better because of the lower bandpass and better optics. I think with that and the bad press Meade is getting, I might have been swayed.

I'm in agreement with Merlin66 on this one, I have some old and new PST's and find the latest to be the best. The PST can also be modded to a larger aperture without too much difficulty. :D

I was very pleased with my PST for visual and imaging. I've upgraded now, but I still use the original PST etalon in the new system.

Just Google "Coronado PST problems" see what you come up with - no more moans and groans than with any other supplier.....

LS80 is very good, LS60's (new ones) also good. SM60II I have, and is excellent, and PST's as mentioned are easy to mod.

What exactly is a PST stage 1 mod? Is it when the whole PST is used, by shortening the gold tube and adapting it to the focuser on the donor 'scope?

Not forgetting an ERF over the objective!

Basically, yes.

Send a PM with an email address and I get you a copy of the PST Mod write-up.

Stage 1 Mod - dump the gold tube and keep the "black box"

Stage 2 Mod - dump the "black box" and add a BF diagonal.

• Like 1