Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are Coronado still any good?

I have been thinking of getting a Ha scope for a while and with Solar max around the corner I thought this summer might be about right. I was considering a PST as I wouldn't really want to spend much more. However, I have recently been warned off buying Coronado and was told that after Meade bought them out, they moved production to Mexico and the quality is nowhere near as good as it was when made in the US.

Is this the general consensus? If so, what would be a good alternative?

I have a Coronado Solarmax 60 II. QC is an issue because I have a big blob of glue in my blocking filter, but it doesn't affect the optics. The view and contrast are both very good.

I haven't had a chance to view through a Lunt Scope so I can't comment how they compare.

Lunt 35 would be an alternative to the PST.

I recently bought a new PST and was slightly nervous having read reports about the varying quality, ' not all PST's are created equal' seemed to be the message.

I can only speak from personal experience and say that mine is very good, with no QC issues at all. The views are amazing so I would certainly encourage you to get a solar scope, whether Coronado or Lunt

Stu

Archived