Narrowband

Heads Up...New Sunsopt 961 On It's Way...

Greg

http://www.spaceweather.com/images2007/26jun07/midi512_blank.gif

"New sunspot 961 has a simple , stable magnetic field that poses no threat for strong solar flares. Solar activity remains low."

Credit: SOHO/MDI

Actually sunny in Devon so when i'm back from the boy's swimming club (Weather permitting.. :wink:) I'll have a lookie :lol:

Greg...Ever the optimist .. :cool:

I ordered a PST from Steve recently and it arrived yesterday (together with 24 hours of cloud). I had today off work and it was sunny about 3pm. I mated the PST to my HEQ5, using a skywatcher dovetail plate with a camera thread (I found some old Imperial thread bolts that work) through it. I started with a 32mm Plossl as the EP and that made it easy to get the Sun in the FOV, I then focussed on the edge of the Sun and moved to a 9.7mm Plossl. I then adjusted the Etalon to bring out the Sunspot detail and granulation. Then moved to a 6.4mm Plossl - very nice view of Sunspot 961. Also some reasonably sized flares - a real biggy about 180 degrees away from the Sun spot. Roll on Solar maximum !!!

So, the PST seems to work (thanks for prompt delivery Steve) and I saw my first Sum spot + solar flares.

Tom

Congrats! I know you'll have fun observing the Sun.

Just one point, though. The "flare" at the edge is actually called a "prominence". A flare is an eruption from the active region around a sunspot and may or may not be visible in white light, but usually is in HA. It will appear as a sudden massive brightening around or over the sunspot and last from minutes to an hour, maybe. FYI.

• 2 months later...

Archived