Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark Kielder

Dixie

Now that we are on the merry road to darker nights, a reminder that Kielder Forest Star Camp takes place from 10 - 14 October 2007. The skies in North Northumberland take some beating - and yes the cloud does break sometimes! We've got talks lined up for both the Friday and Saturday on binocular astronomy, spectroscopy on a shoestring and turning your hobby into an astro business. Vendors lined up include Rother Valley, House of Optics, Widescreen, Green Witch, Astro-trac, AstroDevelopments and Astroparts.

The full story is at http://www.richarddarn.demon.co.uk/starcamp/ - complete with a booking form. We've kept campsite pitch fees at the same level for three years. Any questions drop me a line - richard.darn at virgin.net.

Cheers,Rich

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No you needn't Dave cos i booked back in January.... :wink:

I have started collecting my cans too.... :cool:

It will be good to see you again my old mate...

Cheers to you also Richard for the great work you do for us all in helping to organise this event...

It is a bit of a trek Steve, but time-wise it isn't bad, straight up the A1 from where we are .Wouldn't take as long as the wales SP, 4 hours I reckon traffic depending... I've been to Kielder in October (not for astro reasons :wink: ) and it can get a bit nippy. If I was going, I'd take my ski jacket and salopettes just in case. Gorgeous part of the world though.

I'd love to go, but as I've got Salisbury in August and Kelling in Sept and I'd have to do two nights which isn't possible unfortunately this year :cool:. There's always next year though....

Tony..

Steve

It is darker than Kelling, but the latter has more clear nights. Like anywhere in the UK, it's a bit of a toss of the coin what we end up with weather-wise. You'd expect me to say this, but I love the place's atmosphere, created by the remoteness of the landscape and the people who make the trek. Plus the Angler's Arms does the best treacle pudding in Christendom

Hope you can make -

Richard

PS Jamie - looking forward to helping you put up your tent again!

Compared to Kelling Heath, how dark is Kielder? And exactly how cold/wet can you get up there? :lol: Its a hell of a long way, but I`m tempted... very very tempted.

Lo Steve

It's quite a bit darker and can be a lot wetter and colder but? :wink: The spring event at Kelling took us Three hours from Sunderland and according to the maps it is 240 Miles :nono:. So working on the premise that a sensible person would take at least four hours to Sunderland it is then a further one and a half hours up to Kielder. Whatever the weather You will enjoy it, good company, good beer and a good laugh how could You not enjoy it :cool:

Richard, I'm a custard man myself :wink:. Bring it on mate!

Daz if you're coming and you're on your tod, fancy shaing some transport? I'm not asking for a lift as I've been promised the car. But as we're both in the same neck of the woods and fuel prices being what they are....

Tony..

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be attending with the misses! After what happened to us in wales you would think we would have been put off for life (those of you that went to the wales star party will know what i mean) Thanks to jamie we will no longer be having that prob (cheers mate) and thanks to tom and his wife for the cuppa's in the morning! We will be going from the thursday night to the sunday! Any one know what the prices are please and the contact details!

Cheers

Darren :wink:

PS my misses will be baking loads of brownies and cakes for you all! So in exchange we will gladly accept alchohol! Just messing! Hope your all hungry :cool:

Archived