vanguard DT 7 X 42 bins any ideas

garethmob

does any one use one of these binoclours

is 7X42 enough. im looking for a quick and look pair that i can take out with the dog on walks it would be for use in light polluted city of newport gwent

I did a bit of searching for them, and found they seem to be roof prism type; as rule of thumb you'll almost always get a bit more bin for the buck with poro prism types at a given price.

So, for about a £50 spend on a pair like this (for example) you probably get the equivalent of £30-£40 worth of porro. That's probably a bit low for quality, so personally I'd be more tempted to look for similar priced say £45-£55 for poro of similar spec. I know Olympus have something in that range (DPS I) as it's on my own short list for close in terrestial and perhaps a little wider field astro work too. I'm sure they can't be the only maker for that price and a broadly similar spec.

If it's the size that's the main factor here then I'd maybe look at compact rather than specifically roof prism given the pricing area we are talking about. Quite a lot of compacts are fairly likely to be roof prism anyway, I'm just not certain it's always the case.

I'd speculate that 7x42 would be very easy to use, while not being so good for deeper, less bright stuff. Well worth finding something at roughly that spec though. Sacrificing some of the "good all rounder" that the 10x50 often offers can sometimes fit our life better, and more comfortably.

Thanks flying eye

The olys are talked about a lot but I want to learn about the sky. I'm selling everything ATM to get a mount for AP so I want something I can learn the sky with while it's snapping away or walking the dog. There was a fantastic pair of bins on the bay other day but I missed them :D if u don't mind me asking what else is on your list for bins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if u don't mind me asking what else is on your list for bins?

I don't mind, of course, but it might not help much; quite a few opera/theatre glasses, but I'm not sure what the best spec is for what I am trying to do, I'm using a web cam with an a-focal mount to the eyepiece, and this is because I'm trying to explore wider angle fields of view, and at lower magnifications, so 3-4 x 18mm-20mm or even 25mm are often featured, I think I saw some 4x30 the other day too.

These are what I think they call Galilean type optics (convex objective and concave eyepiece?). They are, by repute, rather good at making the most of low light, and I'm wondering what effect that might have for Astronomical observation. It does sound like the right thing feature wise, even if not commonly used in this role. I'm hoping to better learn the sky a bit this way myself.

However, in view of my slightly off beat area of interest, I am, quite possibly, the worst person you could have asked this of! :)

I'm sure those with greater expertise of a more conventional nature will be along shortly to fill in any gaps! :D

lol i can see what you mean i like the other thread with the cam ian it is a really good idea i can also see the idea of opera glasses. althrough the misses will laugh at me if i take them out into the garden with the little metal handle:P

i can see my venture to find some decent bins contuniuing as my celestron 15X70s out of collimation and the 10X50s from aldis rubbish

Archived