Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

will5098

I want a darn telescope!

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to serious astronomy, always had an interest and can pick out objects with naked eye, but now want a scope. However, it pains me to read thread after thread of 'experts' suggesting binoculars.... I want a darn telescope!!!

In terms of a purchase I am considering a Celestron Astromaster 130eq (despite horror stories re the spotter) or a TS Optics Megastar 150mm. To my despair it seems that the correct practice would be to spend that money (£200) on some binoculars.....really?:D

I want to see Saturns rings, craters on the moon, deep space objects, sun spots etc - can this stuff be seen with binos?

Not sure what to do now, advice would be well received - I wonder if there are others out there that went straight into a scope? - If so would be great to here your thoughts... I wonder what actual proportion of amateurs start with the bino approach?

Cheers everyone:icon_salut:

If your budget was £100 or less then binoculars can be a better option than the sort of scopes you get for that but with £200 you can get something like this, which will show you all the items you list (special filter needed for the sun though):

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

No frills but great optics (which is what counts !) and a very popular scope on SGL.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum !.

Edited by John

Hi and welcome,

Whichever way you decide to go, you have come to the right place for advice on both aspects, bino's and scopes.

I personally think there are no rights and wrongs when starting out, as long as you enjoy what you buy, and this is where the advice is precious, and free. It steers you along the path to avoiding dissapointment in what you view.

I guess the case for Bino's is learning your way around the sky in preparation for the inevitable aperture fever.

I bought a 200P as a first scope only a couple of weeks after buying my 13x70 binos, but I,ve had just as much pleasure out of them, and still use them as much as the scope.

Hope this helps.

I have a 150mm Mak and 120mm describe. Last night was my best even night observing for Messier objects - it was with my new 10x50 bins!!!!!!

Welcome! I agree, the 150P dob is a good choice for your budget. We didn't get our first pair of binoculars until after we'd got our scope.

i went straight into a scope and own the 150p dob and am over the moon with it but im now contemplating some binos to use in the garden just for some casual observing dort of doing things in reverse lol ive seen some amazing sights with the 150p dod

Like many "older" astronomers I was given a tasco telescope (back in the early 70's) by my parents. It was a dire instrument but I had fun with it.

Nowadays I own 2 fantastic instruments which I derive a lot of pleasure from.

But (there's always a but) I also own binoculars and I also like them. Different instrument with pros and cons over a telescope (e.g. I use my 8x30 binocular at least 20 or 30 times more than either telescope...).

IMHO it would be unwise to completely rule out a decent binocular.

The 150mm dobo would be an excellent choice for you but I would just like to point you in the direction of the Binocular SKy article on choosing a binocular. (The author regularly posts on these forums...). Maybe you could think about a binocular AND a telescope!:D

Many astronomers have "started out" with a binocular before "moving on" to a telescope. Some never leave their binocular days behind.

Looking back, wish my parents had bought me a binocular instead of that crappy tasco.

Have fun with whatever you choose Will.:)

Edited by Grunthos

Thanks to everyone for their comments - it looks like I'll be in safe hands with the 150p dob, although it looks heavy and not easy to lug around! hadn't actually considered that one before. Thanks

Like many "older" astronomers I was given a tasco telescope (back in the early 70's) by my parents. It was a dire instrument but I had fun with it.

Nowadays I own 2 fantastic instruments which I derive a lot of pleasure from.

But (there's always a but) I also own binoculars and I also like them. Different instrument with pros and cons over a telescope (e.g. I use my 8x30 binocular at least 20 or 30 times more than either telescope...).

IMHO it would be unwise to completely rule out a decent binocular.

The 150mm dobo would be an excellent choice for you but I would just like to point you in the direction of the Binocular SKy article on choosing a binocular. (The author regularly posts on these forums...). Maybe you could think about a binocular AND a telescope!:)

Many astronomers have "started out" with a binocular before "moving on" to a telescope. Some never leave their binocular days behind.

Looking back, wish my parents had bought me a binocular instead of that crappy tasco.

Have fun with whatever you choose Will.:p

A compelling case you make there Grunthos, pity I cant try before I buy...:D

pity I cant try before I buy...:D

You can.

Consider looking up your local astronomical society and visiting them during a star party (or equivalent).

(Or take a punt and get yourself a sub £50 binocular).

No need to rush in....:)

Edited by Grunthos

The 150P dob will break down into two easily handled pieces (tube and base) so weight won't be an issue. The base is of course an "awkward" shape but you soon get used to that. If you're in average shape you won't have a problem with it :D

I vote Dob.

I started with a 76mm Neat (gift) then went to a 150mm go-to Newt about 6 months later, after another two years I got my 80mm Apo (most used). I've two sets of bins that have never been pointed skyward. I don't have the steady hands needed to get a steady view and didn't want to splash out on a deccent stand knowing I would hardly use it after my scope purchase.