sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

4TH Galloway Starcamp 14 nov 2012

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, we are pleased to announce the 4th galloway starcamp. It will be at the usual venue, which is Drumroamin farm campsite. Propietors: Lesley & Ralph Shell tel 01988840613 The camp start

I'd just like to add my thanks as well for a great couple of days to Steve, Lesley and her husband and all the speakers from Saturday. To have a night like we had on Saturday night was the icing on t

it might be worth contacting Lesley at the camp site. I've not heard from Steve for a while but I was in contact with Lesley at the campsite this last week and she said she had some enquiries I sugges

Clear as a bell here in Glasgow - but very damp. Just thinking about what to pack in the car tomorrow morning. Hope to be down at Galloway about 2.30pm.

Got a bottle of Highland park to bring down, so will at least be merry, even if it rains constantly.

Tom

Met office forecast not looking good for tomorrow afternoon / evening so it looks like whisky tasting will be the order of the day, evening and early morning. However Saturday is looking much much better, Look forward to meeting the quick tent erection team tomorrow around noon, and ive carefully packed a nice bottle of Auchentoshan donated to me a gratefull competitor, the 58/6 special blend..... and of course 3 packs of Jaffa's see you all soon !

Last night's viewing was the best I have ever witnessed, a privilege to be there to see the milky way in all it's glory. If I was sure that it was commonplace I would buy all my stuff again instead of using bino's. You had to be there to appreciate what was on offer last night. Nice to meet some new faces (Kenny) and see all the old ones too. I'll be there again next year.

• Like 1

Just got home & reflecting on a great few days / nights. I agree with Veracocha about seeing friends again & meeting new ones!

Highlights for me:

Last night (of course) seeing the Veil Nebula & Jupiter through Steve's dob and M42 through James' Dob.

Seeing a meteor leave a glowing trail behind it, lasting about 15 seconds, then the trail was blown by the wind into a curve before dissipating.

Watching the Heart Nebula appear on my laptop while imaging.

Learning lots of stuff about the sky, equipment and imaging. The talks were great for this, but also learning just from chatting to people.

Steve: Thanks for organising another great Galloway SP - I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Hope those of you who are still at Galloway enjoy your observatory trip and the rest of your stay.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Yeah Jonathon, the veil was just awesome, as was Jupiter about 4am this morning. Absolutely crisp with a detailed GRS and lots of festoons on the cloud bands. Observed from 7.45am Saturday to 4.25am Sunday. If only we got a few more nights like that.

Tom

Also just back home from Galloway. What a great experience as a first star camp! Such a beautiful night last night and I finally got PHD working for me :smiley:. I'm really looking forward to processing the images and videos.

Really nice to meet lots of folk with such enthusiasm for the hobby and happy to share their knowledge. Enjoyed the talks very much and thanks to Robbie for the PHD presentation in particular, it really helped! Any chance of getting a copy of the slides for reference??

Thank you to everyone for the friendly welcome and to the organisers for such a great job. I look forward to the next one!

Cheers for now,

Tom

• Like 1

Hi all

Thanks to all the organisers for a great weekend.

Great to meet others and admire the kit on display.

I think Saturday night must have been a reward for those who had suffered the weather all week.

Certainly viewed areas of the sky that are normally blocked by my house.

I don't image via my scope so my aim was to get a nice picture of the milky way and I hope I have achieved that.

Enjoyed the talks and thanks to the presenters as I appreciate these things take more than five minutes to put together.

That was my first star party and hopefully I'll attend a few more in the future.

Oh, and that must be the cleanest facilities I've ever seen on a camp site, Thankyou !

Regards

Neil

P.S...................now mastered putting up my tent so no need to bring Jaffa Cakes next year :grin:

• Like 1

Add my thanks to Steve and also to Lesley and her hubby who own this outstanding little campsite. Last night (Sunday) was a wild one with gales and rain, but can't take away the memory of glorious Satudray night.

Richard

I'd just like to add my thanks as well for a great couple of days to Steve, Lesley

and her husband and all the speakers from Saturday. To have a night like

we had on Saturday night was the icing on the cake and the trip to Galloway

observatory was great.

Kathleen

• Like 1

Well what a great experience for my first star camp, the site facilties were first class and immaculate. The speakers were excellent and the viewing on Saturday night was out of this world, ive never seen so many spectacuary meteors and to see the milki way from horizon to horizon was just amazing. Special thanks to Joe and Alison for their company, assistance in setting up and their freindship,( enjoy the real scotch whisky!) and to our neighbours Dave aka Perth skies and his mate Pete for their banter and help. Another big thanksgoes to to John on pitch3 for solving my technical issues defo a case of cant see the wood for the trees!! and to the SGL4 Organisers and the site hosts without their support and effort it would all not have happened. For those of you who did not manage along, you really missed out on a spectacular event, I cant wait till next year already ! Clear skies to you all.

Thank you everyone, I can only add to what has been already said, the site, the people, the vibe and not least, the skies are wonderful and make this star party the fantastic event it has become.

Whilst the weather was ``variable`` the clear skies on Saturday from dusk till dawn were some of the best I have seen and gave me the most memorable views of Jupiter I have ever had, through Dixies 8 inch SCT.

I'll publish my images when they have been processed.

Really nice to meet lots of folk with such enthusiasm for the hobby and happy to share their knowledge. Enjoyed the talks very much and thanks to Robbie for the PHD presentation in particular, it really helped! Any chance of getting a copy of the slides for reference??

Tom

Of course Tom, pm me for details

Thanks again everyone, I had a blast.

best regards, Rob

Another thanks to Steve from me,for organising it and the use of your caravan

also to Adrian and Mike for the meals

To Joe and Robbie for the talks

and the rest for the company

and a sorry about the laptop dying on me while trying to do the talk

Steve

• Like 1

Just to add to what Robbie said, I can't remember a I better view of Jupiter through a scope than that we enjoyed on Saturday night - for the record we used a Denk standard binoviewer, with 2x multiplier (barlow) and couple of TV 25mm plossls on the C8.

Richard

• Like 1

Just to add to what Robbie said, I can't remember a I better view of Jupiter through a scope than that we enjoyed on Saturday night - for the record we used a Denk standard binoviewer, with 2x multiplier (barlow) and couple of TV 25mm plossls on the C8.

Richard

Yes, the view of Jupiter was the best i had ever seen. Through my 14" Flextube it was just awesome. At times it seemed that I was seeing the level of detail one normally only sees on an image. Real detail on the GRS and many festoons/braiding on the cloud bands. I have never seen such detail before.

Fantastic dark skies in Galloway.

Hopefully Steve will do another Galloway SC in the Spring.

Tom

Just want to add my own Thanks to all there. As usual t'was a great event. They seem to improve each time ! Good seeing auld freens and meeting some new ones.

Special thanks to Robbie for the loan of the EQ cable, muppet here brought the EQ5 one ( least I remembered the counter weight bar this time ! )

Some nice Malts brought along ( purely medicinal to avert depression with weather Thurs/Fri cloudy nights mind you ! ).

That said , we did get the odd break and saw great views. Saturday was absolutely spectacular !!! As said , seeing MW majestically stretching across both horizons was a sight to behold.

Thanks Steve for keeping this going and thanks to Lesley and Hubbie for an awesome camp site. Big thanks to all who attended, you guys made it enjoyable for all.

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

I got home safe and sound after 400 miles of driving in the rain. The weather over Shap Summit on the M6 yesterday was terrible.

Interestingly, on Monday evening there was clear skies from 18:30 through 21:00 good views of the moon, Jupiter, the Plough etc.

Mike and I went for a meal at the Bladnoch Inn in Wigton. It was a change to be waited on!!!

The weather later on was not as bad as forecasted.

It was great to meet newbies .... David and Stephanie (who promised to make Guinness bread for Galloway 5 Star Party), Joe and Alison, thanks for the personal viewing of meteors, not forgetting the comedians and teetotalers(Pete, Dave, Steve, James, Happy Kathleen) and those who managed to stomach the shared meals.

To all, who in the interests of medical science brought bottles of whiskey, a big thank you, we have discovered that the more of the stuff you drink the more talkative you become. Pete will be talking for Scotland in future.....

Lesley is aiming to become a champion Jaffa Cake eater!!!

It was a great experience, the weather and the nights of clear dark Galloway skies.

Just unpacked the car, drying out the tent will be fun.

See you again.

Cheers

Adrian

• Like 1

Wow! Galloway Star Camp #4 was awesome, especially on the Saturday night! Will forever remember the views and amazing level of detail on Jupiter through Dixie's 8" SCT (just goes to show you don't need a big scope). Many thanks to Steve and Lesley for organising things and for everyone's company, it was great to see you all again. Already looking forward to the next one!

Neill & Karen