Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ3-2 Strip Down

badgers

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Glad I found this really excellent breakdown of how to strip down, clean and regrease the EQ3-2 mount.  It's helped me immensely with my old EQ3-2 that I acquired a couple of years ago with an EQ5 tripod.  The guy was upgrading to an HQ5 so wanted rid of this one.  I tried using it last year but found it really stiff and uncooperative.  I also wanted to install motor drives on it to allow some automation of it's use.  I'd chucked it up on top of the wardrobe because I'd become frustrated with it, but recently decided to have another look at it.  I want to do some wide field astrophotography using my Canon 550D, so I decided to bite the bullet and sort the pesky thing out.  Bought some degreaser, and white lithium grease and dived in.  So far only done the DEC axis, but already that is so much better.  My motor drive kit arrives tomorrow, so I'll be tackling the RA axis.  Then hopefully installing the motor drives.