Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Hi everyone (first post).

I am about to take the plunge and purchase my first scope. I have been browsing online shops and forums for a few weeks now and I have been going around in circles until my head hurts.

Initially I convinced myself that I would need a motorised EQ mount for photography, but having scoured these forums it is clear that I should learn to walk first.

I have now come to a conclusion that the Skyliner 150P Dob will be an ideal place to start on a budget of £200. Does this seem reasonable for a complete beginner ?

You are looking at the right sort of scope the Skyliner series are fine scopes and I do very much agree with Kheldar - if you can stretch to the 200p you will be even happier with your start in astronomy. An old astronomers saying - Aperture is EVERYTHING!!

If you can get the 200p do it -if not the 150 is a good scope all the same :)

Would love to get the 200, but was hard enough to convince the wife that the 150 was small.

Would love to get the 200, but was hard enough to convince the wife that the 150 was small.

My wife burst out laughing when the 200P arrived, she had kind of imagined a scope like Jack Sparrows' (Captain):)

The 200p has been ordered.

If I never post again, then you'll know my wife was less than happy. 48hr charm offencive is underway.