SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bode's M81/2

Shibby

Here's the result of my efforts from last night. Stayed nice and clear all night so managed to grab 3.4hrs of M81+M82. Doesn't quite match up to some of the exellent Bode's images being posted on SGL recently! Still a few issues with star halos but pleased to extract more detail than I have on a previous attempt. (Have never picked up Holmberg IX before!)

41x5m, ISO 800

450d modified

Vixen GP + EQMOD

SW 150PDS

Orion finder guidescope + SPC900

shibby-albums-deep-sky-picture15781-m81-m82-new.jpg

Here's a wider field, showing a few extra fuzzies, but also a bit of gradient creeping in:

shibby-albums-deep-sky-picture15780-m81-m82-new-widefield.jpg

Thanks guys :D I'm quite pleased with the depth, but it's still a little noisy in the fainter areas; I suppose the only thing that will sort this is another 3 hours or so of exposure (more?)! I would try for longer subs, but been having some guiding issues - it's all new to me.

Am I obsessive? I think I probably am. Having already posted an image, I seem to now spend hours staying up late reprocessing it just to eke out a tiny bit more detail (even though commenting somewhere else recently that I don't do this!)

In reality, there is no substitute for more data but I think I have eked a bit more detail out, most of said eking in the red channel. Some more of the M82 filaments are coming through! Perhaps a bit too noisy for this image scale? Stars not looking too great. I don't know, is this version better? Honest opinions please, I'm starting to go bleary eyed staring at it!

shibby-albums-deep-sky-picture15843-bodes-m81-m82-version-2.jpg

Archived