Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory- after the first year

Merlin66

What about flooring?

Carpets/ interlocking foam/ artificial grass ( don't laugh - it's been used on a few observatories) Others options??

I had two boxes of tiles left over from when work re-carpeted the building, and put them in my warm room. I installed the interlocking foam tiles in the scope room, stuck down with spray carpet adhesive.

I've 50mm dense styrene insulation under the warm room floor, with 30mm in the walls and roof. Flooring is 18mm exterior ply.

Helen's comments about expansion and contraction is oh so true. My roof closes over the end wall with 1/4" tolerance which on the odd occasion in really wet weather seems to now be about 1/8th an inch !! - but it still closes ;)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Now that I'm really using my observatory, the main thing I'm finding is that I would like a better view to the west. The roof is obscuring just a bit too much. I had thought long and deeply about the orientation. I had considered an orientation 90 degrees to the present, obscuring more N and NE rather than W and NW. ATM the E & S sides are best, the N fair and the W worst. At 90 degrees to present I would have had fair to the west and poor to the north.

No I'm not rebuilding it!! Mind you, I expect if I'd built it the other way I'd have found that less than perfect :blob10: The slope of the ground would have meant a lot more work.

Great post!

If you are going to use an 'off the shelf' shed for conversion really understand the structural role the roof plays.

The more power outlets and room for cables the better.

Bear in mind if using a roll off shed that your view will be obscured by the roof to that side, so position your mount accordingly.

Other than that I am very happy with the obsey, the list of advantages are too many to list. Just wish I had more time to use it at the min :blob10:

Now that I'm really using my observatory, the main thing I'm finding is that I would like a better view to the west. The roof is obscuring just a bit too much. I had thought long and deeply about the orientation. I had considered an orientation 90 degrees to the present, obscuring more N and NE rather than W and NW. ATM the E & S sides are best, the N fair and the W worst. At 90 degrees to present I would have had fair to the west and poor to the north.

Surely not, especially given how long and indepth your pre-build thread was :blob10:

To be honest, I think we would all change things in the build slightly, but often just have to make the most of what we have - otherwise it becomes very expensive

Surely not, especially given how long and indepth your pre-build thread was :blob10:

To be honest, I think we would all change things in the build slightly, but often just have to make the most of what we have - otherwise it becomes very expensive

Absolutely! In fact, if I'd built it the other way round there would have been other things wrong. Very rarely can a perfect result be achieved - there is virtually always a compromise. In practically every respect I am very pleased with my build :o

I would have built mine about a foot wider. !.8m x 1.8m But it's not really a problem. The roof is easy to roll off and I love it. I am considering putting a more gardeny looking structure further up the garden to take advantage of the view but only time will tell.:blob10: There seem to be more options becoming available off the shelf.

Jen

Well, I've taken advantage of the good weather and applied a coat of preservative to the observatory. This time round I used Ronseal shed and fence treatment rather than the creocote stuff, which even with two coats didn't last a twelve month.

Well, I've taken advantage of the good weather and applied a coat of preservative to the observatory. This time round I used Ronseal shed and fence treatment rather than the creocote stuff, which even with two coats didn't last a twelve month.
That's a good idea - mine could do with another coat (Ronseal Total Wood Preserver is what I use - expensive but the best) :blob10:

Ronseal Total Wood Preserver is spirit based and cost £25 for a 5L can from Amazon. It's dearer in the DIY shops. I shall be interested to see just how much better it is than the cheaper stuff.

Archived