Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Bried

Fireball in the sky!

Hello there, I just wondered if anyone saw a huge fireball thing streak across the sky just below the plough at around 10:50 this evening? I was in Eccles near Manchester and was wondering if anyone else nearby may have seen it.

I am inclined to think it was some kind of firework as it looked huge. The only thing was is that it was coming downwards and it really didn't look like a firework. :)

It didn't look like a usual small shooting star but more like a huge meteorite streaking down! I'm hoping that it was a meteorite but I am sure there is more boring explanation.

Anyway, would be great to know if anyone else saw it and if so what their opinion is on what it was.

Brian

They come in all sorts of sizes, it was probably a meteorite. I saw one of the fattest tailed ones I've ever seen pass the plough last night. Strangely enough, I also saw two shooting stars fly across my view in my finderscope tonight. :)

Hello there, I just wondered if anyone saw a huge fireball thing streak across the sky just below the plough at around 10:50 this evening? I was in Eccles near Manchester and was wondering if anyone else nearby may have seen it.

I am inclined to think it was some kind of firework as it looked huge. The only thing was is that it was coming downwards and it really didn't look like a firework. :)

It didn't look like a usual small shooting star but more like a huge meteorite streaking down! I'm hoping that it was a meteorite but I am sure there is more boring explanation.

Anyway, would be great to know if anyone else saw it and if so what their opinion is on what it was.

Brian

ohhh I was imaging over there at that time - hope I got it!

edit - meh, no I wasnt over far enugh :(

Edited by sanmatt

Yep saw it from South Wales...it broke up into a few pieces as it passed under Ursa Major...

There was a less spectacular one a few minutes before it in roughly the same area...

Edited by Psychobilly

Cool, they are certainly a great sight! Nicely spotted.

my friend seen it wolfytom of here i missed it as i was looking else were

Wow! Nice one! I'm well chuffed now. It was huge!:)

Missed it I am afraid, bet it was spectacular, but in reality it was probably only the size of a very large pebble :(

I saw it as well here in Essex, just the tail end before it vanished.

I wasn't sure at the time as it was so quick, I was looking up debating whether to get the scope out!

There was another bright orange fireball at around midnight last night. It streaked below Leo and Mars and left a long orange trail.

Edited by John

Had a small meteorite over Norfolk, traveled in a northerly direction early evening, not very bright and i would think quiet low the speed it went over at.

I saw a fat one just below and to the left of Ursa Major last night around the same time.

id say it was the leonids meteor shower which is currently in progress (located as john says, inbetween mars and leo) and it is said to peak next saturday (February 25th) which im looking forward to having a good gaze at :)