Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So what would really happen if aliens did make contact?

John Cooper-Clarke could advise (probably). I have bleeped the profanity.

Lyrics to (I Married A) Monster From Outer Space :

I fell in love with an alien being

whose skin was jelly - whose teeth were green

she had the big bug eyes and the death-ray glare

feet like water wings - purple hair

I was over the moon - I asked her back to my place

then I married the monster - from outer space

The days were numbered - the nights were spent

in a rent free furnished oxygen tent

where a cyborg chef served up moon beams

done super rapid on a laser beam

I needed nutrition to keep up the pace

when I married the monster from outer space

We walked out - tentacle in hand

you could sense that the earthlings would not understand

they'd go, nudge nudge when we got off the bus

saying it's extra-terrestial - not like us

and it's bad enough with another race

but **** me, a monster from outer space

In a cybernetic fit of rage

she ****** off to another age

she lives in 1999

with her new boyfriend - a blob of slime

each time I see her translucent face

I remember the monster from outer space

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was thinking more about this yesterday and i think that if any aliens did land on earth they would mostly get ignored, if they landed in small numbers and only a few say them they would be added to the crack pots who are already see as nuts. if they made contact with any nation leaders then we might never know once they didnt get all violent on us. i find it hard to believe that anyone or thing could get even close to earth without someone picking it up with the equipmet. a cloke device would be exceptable. if they had that device then they could come take what they want and go without ever getting noticed, so that's probably where all my socks keep going, the wife is always telling me there toxic and hold some form of power hahahahahaa.

• 3 weeks later...

to be honest when i look up in the sky and see all the stars i do wonder we cant be the only form of inteligent life, there has to be another out there where and how far who knows, but the cosmos is so vast we may really never know . me i belive someone is out there just watching us.

For me I reckon we would try to shoot them out of the sky's before they landed, if we succeeded in shooting them down we would then carry out every possible test know to man on them to find they are not a threat and then sit and wait for his mates to turn up only to find out what we have done and probably kill us all haha

I honestly think if they came now what I have said above probably wont be too far from the truth, its Human nature I think to want to know the unknown and lets face it no living creature is going to willingly let us do tests on them.

On the other hand if we didnt shoot them out of the sky we would still lock them up in a cage or something and fleece them silly of their technology.

You never know there might be some Alien race on their way here now, its just taking them ALLOT of time to get here.

I think that they might view us as a bunch of squabbling children fighting over such trivial things. One thing is for sure though, religion will be totally blown away and thus could end a lot of fighting on this planet of ours. Also there would be no need to fight over oil reserves as the technology they would bring would virtually do away with the need to burn fossil fuel to get us around, they obviously did not cross the cosmos on a thumping V8 powered spacecraft. :(

I'm an atheist myself but I doubt alien contact would end religion. I think people who have a religion would just say that "God" created more than one civilisation. Just like when dinosaur's were discovered and they said that they were monsters that got washed away by Noah's flood the'll find some way to Include the aliens into their belief.

I dont think Man has got a lot of time

left on this planet.He will muck it up

like he has done every thing else.

You will wake up one day & bang

it will all be gone.Us as well. I

dont think we will have to worry

about E.T.I think that they have

been & gone.Left us to it.

We are just a blip in the life of

this planet.Make way for something

else when we are all gone.

Steve.

Of course there is always the possibility that, no matter whether they look like us or a tree (or a house if it comes to that!), is whether they would actually even recognise us as a life form. Cities are no indication - we have no problem bulldozing a termite mound if it is in the way. They might just arrive and ignore us completely.

As has been said, we judge by technology and what we can make and do. Others will almost certainly use a different criteria, though what that might be who knows.

Another thing - we all assume they will arrive in space ships, but what if they are truly space beings, made up of pure energy, who can sail through the void, using sunlight. OK it would take them years to go anywhere, but that poses another question. What if their life processes work at very accelerated, or indeed in a very slow way? Would we even impinge on their senses?

Perhaps they might visit, not to ravage our planet, but to dine on our sun as a little snack before they set off elsewhere on their long slow voyage through the cosmos.

Do you know what? I fell a book coming on ...:(

• 3 weeks later...

Why are we only looking at the radio spectrum for messages?.

Could just as easily be in x-ray or visible light.

Surely the only effective interstellar communication would be through a wormhole.

They can be made, allow instantaneous travel between immense distances, for communication purposes can be tiny.

Just don`t know how/if the exit point could be controlled or plotted.

But I bet that something does.

• 4 weeks later...

Predictions of this scale could be massive, everyone has their theory as to what aliens would do or not do to us, For thousands of years aliens of some kind have been visiting our planet, for what purpose we do not yet know, Area 51 might have a few clues? :police: . There are many things on this planet we cannot understand as yet, the stone circle for one, I am only giving one example as there are many, even down to the Pyramids.

Aliens have vast superiority over us, to travel the distance to get here proves it. We just hope they do not see us as a threat, food or pets etc. Tv makes us believe that all aliens are out to kill us or take over our minds, that is why so many of us are scared at the thought of aliens coming here. Like others mentioned if they wanted to destroy us, they would have done it many years ago, thousands of years ago even, they are probably like us, excited to find a living breathing planet full of life, its my though

• 3 years later...

Why are we only looking at the radio spectrum for messages?.

Could just as easily be in x-ray or visible light.

Surely the only effective interstellar communication would be through a wormhole.

They can be made, allow instantaneous travel between immense distances, for communication purposes can be tiny.

Just don`t know how/if the exit point could be controlled or plotted.

But I bet that something does.

Sorry to resurrect a very old topic here but this has been bothering me and I'm so glad someone else has brought this up:

Many of the projects that are running to detect intelligent life outside our solar system try to detect radio waves... Why would any space faring species use parts of the EM spectrum to transmit communications considering that vastness of space? The time delay from Earth to Mars alone is almost half an hour and it's in the same solar system. The difference in distance between Earth and Mars compared to our Earth and another solar system/outside galaxy is insane.

There could be plenty of intelligent space-faring alien species out there but we might not be able to detect them because we're mostly relying on detecting radiowaves, assuming that they would be using this relatively primitive and slow medium for carrying messages.

Radio waves travel at the speed of light and there is not anything we know of faster,

Radio waves are long wavelengths and get through "space" with less loss/attenuation.

The longer wavelengths are why we use IR and longer wavelengths (radio) to observe the distant aspects of our galaxy and universe.

So nothing quicker and in effect they are the best to get through.

So good chance that another species would use them.

Archived