SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Synscan handset frozen

Hello guys,

I was just about to view Mars a moment ago and noticed that the mount had stopped tracking and the tone of the motors had changed. So I turned the mount off and back on and now it freezes as soon as it reaches the Synscan v3.27 part. It initialises, makes the beep and then just freezes? Any idea what's going on, I guess that the firmware has corrupted itself and needs a reflash.... :)

Thanks for any help,

Carl

I would switch off totally and disconnect everything. Wait five mins - then reconnect everything. Loosen the clutches before powering on (assuming it's all balanced and will stay in position). See if there's any change in the motors sound. If it's back to normal and the handset is ok, re tighten the clutches paying attention to any change in tone.

It might have cut out cos it's hit unexpected resistance somewhere, which could be in the gearing, or a cable snag of some sort. Are you using a regulated power supply?

I was using one of these High Power Multi-Voltage Desktop Power Supply : Multi Voltage Power Supplies : Maplin Electronics , which has been fine normally. Will go downstairs and test the clutches to see if there is any change in noise in the motors as I've packed up and brought everything in now, if not I will reflash the handset and hope for the best!

Many thanks for the advice

Wahey, it's working again! Flashing the firmware done the trick, hopefully will be able to see Mars tomorrow without the handset corrupting itself! Cheers for helping me troubleshoot anyway, Brantuk :)

Archived