Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Lenny147

Amazing views in Wales tonight

Great views of jupiters moons and venus tonight guys, very clear in the south wales area :)

I agree Lenny ive just come in for a quick warm then back out later to see mars and saturn

Still a bit damp in the Swansea Valley... Lentil soup up until about 35-40 degrees... but at least I sm outside...

Its freezing cold here peter -1 to be exact,at 11 i will got back out for a few hours

Had a lovely session outside with the bins, learning a bit more of the constellations

Found M33 M44 and M67, plus M81 and M82 and a nice look at the double cluster

When I was looking at Jupiter I saw a shooting star I think, or a really fast bright satellite, and then saw a couple of other slow moving satellites

All very nice

How was the site Stevetynant?

I am doing the same Caveman, trying to learn the night sky etc, it amazes me how much extra we can see with bins and a scope. Ive just bought some new bins and the views are are just amazing

Did anyone catch the meteor that went below UM before breaking into a couple of pieces?

I am just out with the modded 1000D and 200/2.8L on the EQ-3 Pro... haven't bothered aligning it just got it tracking and using a B&S head to point it in the grneral direction of a few favourite targets...

Edited by Psychobilly

I need to get myself a good set of bino's,when im nights i can pop out for a quick look on my break.It is clear tonight and the nice thing is the forecast is just as good for tommorrow night

If your taking them to SGL7 peter would you mind if i had a quick squint through them?.My son spotted a shooter earlier passsing through perseus heading towards Jupiter ( or so he said ):)

Really need the dew to drop out... anyway enouhh playing about tonight... I still haven't got the scopes back in the obs... might have a think about putting them back in there tomorrow...

Have fun...

Peter...

had only two hours before work but imaged venus for the first time and jupiter c moons with my newly modded SPC...

haven't figured out howto use the LX mod though, so M42 failed once more...

Had a lovely session outside with the bins, learning a bit more of the constellations

Found M33 M44 and M67, plus M81 and M82 and a nice look at the double cluster

When I was looking at Jupiter I saw a shooting star I think, or a really fast bright satellite, and then saw a couple of other slow moving satellites

All very nice

How was the site Stevetynant?

Hi Capt - the skies were amazing when the clouds rolled away but the wind made it too cold to stay for any length of time (I've sent you a pm) - next time I'm going to go to my original site by the Drovers I think - checked it out on the way home and is a bit flatter - shame you didn't come could have done with you tp show me all the Messiers :0)

Is only an hour and a bit drive now I know the way so will definitely be going again soon - will get in touch - let me know if your planning a trip and I'll meet you there (weather permitting)

When we got out at the dark site I went to last night - looked up and thought there were two planes heading across the sky with lights on - not quite fast enough to be planes perhaps so must have been Choppers with search lights - bins on still couldn't see or hear them - then sussed out what was happening ( a good 10 minutes before the penny dropped) it was so windy where I was the clouds were being blown across our field of view creating a sort of optical illusion (my excuse) and the Helicopters were actually Jupiter and Venus - couldn't believe how bright they were - amazing (and stupid at the same time lol)

had only two hours before work but imaged venus for the first time and jupiter c moons with my newly modded SPC...

haven't figured out howto use the LX mod though, so M42 failed once more...

I'm afraid M42 is just too big a target for the SPC900s tiny chip :)

I found that disappointing at first, but then there are plenty of great targets that do fit on. Have a look at CCDCalc (free download).

BT - I don't have a motorized EQ5 - is it possible to take a photo of the Milky Way with just a DSLR, Wide angle lens and a Tripod or would the exposure times preclude this?

Worth a go Steve. I have a gizmo for my k-5 that moves the CCD sensor

5eac88cf-c471-08cb.jpg

so I'm probably the wrong person to ask!

Edited by Brumtaffy

cheers BT I'll post on the imaging site and see what turns up

Checked out your website aswel - some fantastic images on there particularly the one you've posted above and the solar images - well done

Steve

It was quite windy here Steve,about 12 30 it started to settle down so it must have been quite choppy out in the sticks where you were.The forecast is good for tonight are you heading out again ?

I shouldn't have looked at this group- it's making me homesick :)

Next thing I'll be singing 'Guide me oh thy great Jehovah' as I attach the ST80- could be a great Welsh alternative to PHD? GMOTGJ.... naw, maybe not :(

It was quite windy here Steve,about 12 30 it started to settle down so it must have been quite choppy out in the sticks where you were.The forecast is good for tonight are you heading out again ?

Not tonight Matt - which is a shame cos it sounds like the conditions will be a lot better (on the wind front at least) - gonna have some front garden hiding from the street light astronomy tonight for an hour or so but up too early for work to venture too far afield- but now I know what I'm missing it won't be the same.

I'm hoping to come to Blaenavon in March so hopefully have a chat about where I was- I think it would make a great site for a meet - although not sure it would take more than about a dozen with cars TBH - perhaps you could do a reccy sometime and see what you think - give me a shout if you fancy it

cheers

Steve