SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Blackpool

Brinders

Hello all,

Just joined the forum a couple of days ago and thought I would say hi.

I've been interested in astronomy since I was about 12 when my parents bought me a cheap Tasco reflector on a table tripod alt azimuth mount. I remember my Dad (who turned 80 last month) and I used to spend many happy hours just looking at the craters and maria of the moon and the phases of Venus through it. Later in life I swapped the small tasco for a larger refractor form the same maker - now giving some pleasure to the kids next door after I replaced it with a TAL.

My interest in astronomy has waxed and waned over the years, but I am currently the proud owner of a Russian TAL 150P Newtonian which I have had for several years now. Unfortunately the size and weight of the steel pier and heavy equatorial mount are not exactly conducive to mobility, so I tend to only use it in the back garden. As you may imagine Blackpool must have the most light polluted skies in Europe, as well as being windy, so it's not the best site to observe from, although my kids, their friends and neighbours have enjoyed observing the constellations, moon, Jupiter and Saturn (never fails to get a gasp of delight) with the TAL over the years.

I have a selection of Plossl eyepieces, a small LOMO "Little Mak" spotting 'scope and a pair of 12X50 binos with Bak 4 prisms and various filters. Got to say despite having purchased Mead and Skywatcher eyepieces, it's my TALs that give the best views - cheap but excellent!

I'm thinking of purchasing a Celestron Nexstar SE SCT on a GOTO mount within the next few months with an eye on portability (probably the SE6 but I'd like the SE8 if I can stretch the budget). Maybe then I'll be tempted to go find some dark sky sites!

It would be good to hear from some of you and your experiences with this fascinating hobby.

Brinders

Hi brinders,

welcome to SGL. I was fortunate to come across this lot about a month ago. I have owned a telescope for about the same and they are friendly and handy bunch. I don't feel qualified to give advice just yet but give me time.. The sponsors give excellent advice and a handy discount when it's new kit time.

Huw.

Hi. Brinders, nice to welcome you to SGL. I am sure your hobby will give you more pleasure as a result of joining the group.

Plenty of skilled operators in all aspects here, and always willing to help and advise, so just ask when there is an answer you need.

Cheers Ron. :wink:

Welcome to SGL Brinders.

Ahhh Blackpool I have fond memories there, namely an old girlfriend.

Also I own a TAL, built like a tank and optics are great to.

Enjoy your stay.

Mick

Archived