sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

spc900 back in stock?

Cubemaster

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm lucky enough to have 'got in' at the right time and have 2 (sorry!) a vanilla one from Morgans and a LX modded one.

They have taught me so much- trying to find let alone frame a target on the little chip is quite a skill! :( How can an object the size of jupiter be so elusive :)

Although I made the mistake of looking on CCDCalc and now I have desperate Chip envy :mad:

It's made me acquire a Canon 450D for imaging, more learning curves to struggle up!

The SPC may be consigned to guiding (and even that will be frustrating!). If/when I move on to a proper guide CCD I'll be happy to sell on :D

What is folks' favourite SPC900 target? For me, M57 :p

What was the reason for the spc900 being the holy grail of webcams?

I may be wrong, but I think it's because it uses a CCD sensor rather than a CMOS sensor.

Have been looking at the current models from Phillips and all seem to be CMOS.... well the ones at the cheaper end of the market do

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a new kind of CMOS chip with a lot more low light sensitivity.

QHY's website have it but the camera looks expensive, although I can't see a price.

I am hoping these chips will eventually find their way to cheaper webcams. Perhaps?

The Microsoft Lifecam Cinema HD seems to have taken over. The can be picked up for around £30-£40

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5815&rt=nc&_nkw=Microsoft+Lifecam+Cinema+HD&_dmpt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Webcams&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

I did try one out a year or so ago, its was good, however I went down the DMK route in the end, filters filter wheel, small bank loan....

Edited by Earl

OK, let's do this!

Dragon's Den....

"Yes, we want to borrow 350,000 GBP to buy the Philips patents and tooling for their old webcam"

"Oh yes"

"We figure the annual sales to amateur astronomers will be a couple of thousand a year"

"What about cost of production and distribution - Oh and marketing"

"We''ll convince the old Chinese suppliers (who already have some very lucrative contracts on"new"cameras) to re-set all their machines and run our webcams for $2 each. My wife/partner/girl friend will look after the office stuff"

"Oh yes"

"So what's your selling price?"

"Well, the forum members think 5 gbp delivered, would be a good price"

"Hmmmm 350K at 4% is 14K in interest, based on 2K sales, that's already 7gbp per part, then you have the actual cost and distribution"

"I'm out"

"I'm out"

"I'm out"

Good points Ken! It's a finite demand.

About 5000 of those cameras were sold in the last year or just a little more, I know this as I probably manufactured the vast majority of the adapters that went with them. I made approximately that many adapters.

That I think is about the saturation point for webcams.

I'll also add. Before the morgans deal those same cameras were making between 60-90 GBP on Ebay as secondhand Auctioned items. A.N.Others Adapters were 20 gbp with their "scene tax".

All good things have to come to an end!

Wayne....

Edited by wayne weedon

I have just bought one of these sweex hd national geographic webcams from amazon it looks like the MS cinema HD camera but the specs say it contains the OmniVision OV2643 2Mp chip.

The blurb say's it has a sensitivity of 1250 mV/lux-sec, enabling excellent image quality under the most challenging lighting conditions. It might be the same chip as the MS camera but I don't know, they are the same shape camera though.

Frame rate

30 @ 800x600

30 @ 1280x720

15 @ 1600x1200

I'll report on my findings when I get it next week

Dani

I have just bought one of these sweex hd national geographic webcams from amazon it looks like the MS cinema HD camera but the specs say it contains the OmniVision OV2643 2Mp chip.

The blurb say's it has a sensitivity of 1250 mV/lux-sec, enabling excellent image quality under the most challenging lighting conditions. It might be the same chip as the MS camera but I don't know, they are the same shape camera though.

Frame rate

30 @ 800x600

30 @ 1280x720

15 @ 1600x1200

I'll report on my findings when I get it next week

Dani

I was looking at those earlier on today and wondered if they might be any good. Would be interested to know how you get on with it, modify it etc..

I can't see how we've hit saturation point or where the 5K sales for last year came from. I know the numbers are small(ish) but how many times do we see stock go into Morgans etc. only to be sold out within days? They must only get a dozen or two at a time perhaps?

I have now had trhe opportunity to call my contact at our Philips contract and they've done some digging. They have deinitely stopped making them, but the view is that there are loads of them on general sale in eastern Europe, so that's probably where some suppliers are getting their hands on them.

I think the Microsoft one will be the one which takes over as they seem to be available and miles cheaper!