Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starwave 80 ED

Earl

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few comments now I have had a play.

All the bolts and screws come loose, so you need to check everything over

The Focuser is smooth, it has two rotation points, one on the OTA and one where the visual back and Reducer go, this is very handy. As for motorising it im not so sure, id need to examine the underside, I will get round to this.

Overall from inspection and setting up, everything is very good. If it performs it will be a great investment.

Areas of concern

The Supplied Mini Vixen Dovetail hole do not match my ADM Losmandy spacing so I have had to use my old Dovetail for my guidescope to fit.

The Finder Bracket does not take my Baader Finder Bracket, hence it been on the ST80 (until I sort it out).

The one thing that is missing and should be in the box imo is the adapter from M48 to T, every camera i have had in my hands has been T, I would up the price of the Reducer option and include it there.

Oh and of course it came with a very generous layer of Cloud.................

On the subject of this vs the Sky Watcher 80ED, I have not owned one other than the focuser off one, and ths focuser is in a different league to the standard Skywatcher one.

Got my new Starwave 80mm ED yesterday as well! Lot bulkier than I thought it would be, but very pleased with it! Got first light last night for an hour and was really pleased with it! Hope you enjoy using yours!! Clear sky's to you and yours...

Earl, Some friendly advice, you might find that the threads on the focuser adaptors might start to squeak a little, but really nothing to worry about, just get a very small dab of WD40 on a cotton bud & give a single coat of it on the inner threads of the adaptor, but just a little. You'll find that will lubricated it enough for it stop squeaking...

Nadeem.

I cant wait to get some images, however i Still have not had 100% confirmation on the Reducer spacing, no reply to my message to Altair.

I have a nice layer of cloud, one night soon.... hopefully LOL

No you have a different design, sorry I but I did not catch or understand what adaptor you need to connect your spacers from a M48 to M42 connection, as FLO stock an adaptor from M48 Female to M42 Female... I don't know if that is what you need to get over your adaption problem..

Im more interested in results with a DSLR, if anyone else has bought the starwave 80, please take some test shots with a DSLR, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, as I am really tempted to buy one.

Lee

I can Do that also as I have a 450D I see you have a 400d, i happen to have one of those also so ill use that,

Archived