Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

AstroMum

New EPs and SkyWire have arrived!

I'm sure the more seasoned members are going to find it hilarious how excited I am over a couple of EPs and a cable, but these are my first accessories and I'm so looking forward to trying them out. :icon_scratch:

After much deliberation and the very helpful advice given by SGL members, I treated myself to the following which all arrived this morning (thank you Telescope House and Widescreen Centre):

1.25" 12mm wide angle Revelation EP

2" 30mm wide angle Revelation EP

2" 42mm wide angle Revelation EP

2"/1.25" Revelation 2x barlow

SkyWire iPhone/iPad cable for SkySafari

I had no idea the 2" EPs would be so big (or so heavy)!

I'm so sad, I even took a photograph of my new kit to share with you all. See how tiny the 1.25" looks? :)

OK, I'll stop gushing now and beg the weather gods to give us some clear skies!

post-33263-133877732227_thumb.jpg

Congrtas on the purchases, we all get very excited when new gear arrives :icon_scratch:

We're doomed :icon_scratch:

Congrats on your new EPs... what a cracking start! Hope we get some cloud-free soon...

Nice set of purchases !!

Have you tried them yet ??

I do like the Revelation gear.

Let us know what you think of linking up the iPhone to your 'scope. I was considering this myself only yesterday

Nice set of purchases !!

Have you tried them yet ??

I do like the Revelation gear.

Gave the new kit a go last night. The increased FoV on the 2" EPs was definitely noticeable and gave me some much better views of the Pleiades than the stock 25mm. The 2x barlow worked well too, I used it with both the new and old EPs.

Overall, very pleased with everything. Certainly not bad at less than £40 a piece!

Let us know what you think of linking up the iPhone to your 'scope. I was considering this myself only yesterday

Also gave this a go last night. Took me ages to get the GOTO aligned and it still wasn't perfect, but gave me the chance to try out the Skywire.

I found it easy to use and it was so much nicer being able to click on a target and go to it. I didn't need to know the M or NGC numbers for an object, just touch and go! I'm going to be looking at a lot more DSOs using this than I would with the handset that's for sure!

Only downside is that I couldn't use my gloves whilst operating the ipad and so my fingers were frozen. worth it though! :)

Your new kit will be well suited for scanning the deep...

There's a lot of good stuff to trawl for in the spring and will look great in the refractor.

andrew

andrew

Indeed, I'm looking forward to spending some warmer evenings having a good browse around the sky.

I found it easy to use and it was so much nicer being able to click on a target and go to it. I didn't need to know the M or NGC numbers for an object, just touch and go! I'm going to be looking at a lot more DSOs using this than I would with the handset that's for sure!

If you use the tonights best you cannot go far wrong with it. it is also useful with the descriptions of the objects

Only downside is that I couldn't use my gloves whilst operating the ipad and so my fingers were frozen. worth it though

Try getting fingerless gloves or even better mits that the top flips back

Edited by m.tweedy

Sounds like you need a pair of SmartTouch gloves... they carry our micro current through to the touch screen. They're not very thin though, so a little more tricky when changing EP than my above-zero wool gloves.

Only downside is that I couldn't use my gloves whilst operating the ipad and so my fingers were frozen. worth it though! :)

+1 for fingerless gloves. I have the Thinsulate ones.

Just thought. You can use one of these and keep your gloves on as the ipad does not need to conduct the current from your finger to work

They are a soft tipped stylus

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-light-aluminum-Stylus-iPhone-iTouch/dp/B002YI9ATI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1329663624&sr=8-10

Edited by m.tweedy

Don't know why I didn't think of fingerless gloves before. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the ones we don't even think about. :)

By the way Dunkster, I really like the sound of the SmartTouch gloves!

Just thought. You can use one of these and keep your gloves on as the ipad does not need to conduct the current from your finger to work

They are a soft tipped stylus

2x Ultra-light aluminum Touch Stylus Pen For Apple: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Now you've said that, I realise I already have one which my husband used to use to draw on my iPad. Let's hope I can find it!