548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

Which of these two collimators is a better choice?

Dipper

I want to buy a collimator which would have adjustable screws for collimating it as I am about to buy a quick f/4 Skywatcher Quatro telescope. Looking at eBay I found two reasonably priced collimators but only one of them is described as being collimatable - the other looks like it might be too but I'm not certain. Can anyone confirm they both are? Maybe someone uses these particular collimators.

First one says: The laser collimator can be aligned itself, too. But that is usually not necessary, as it will be delivered well aligned.

Seben Laser Collimator LK1 Perfect Telescope Alignment 1.25" | eBay

The other doesn't mention adjustment:

Laser collimator telescope collimator- 1.25 / 2 inches | eBay

Are Baader collimators adjustable? Lol, I sold Baader Laser Colli III because I thought it wasn't adjustable. :icon_scratch::confused::)

Hmm, nevermind. I'll go for the Antares version. Only that I'm not a UK citizen and shipping might be a tiny issue, if any.

Edited by Dipper

I second the Antares laser collimator.

I had a similar one to the second link you put on.(Next Generation)

First laser collimator I purchased,when I was just starting out.Worst purchase I have made.Very cheaply made.....:icon_scratch:

Wayne

• 1 year later...

Hi Dipper. I'm only a novice, but I've had some good results with my Seben LK1 laser collimator so far. Metal, solid, arrived perfectly collimated itself. Only £24 from Amazon (Amazon reviews: x30 5 star reviews, x1 4 star, nothing lower). Good luck with the collimating in general, not least as its pretty terrifying the first time you do it! Cheers, Simon

First one says: The laser collimator can be aligned itself, too. But that is usually not necessary, as it will be delivered well aligned.

Seben Laser Collimator LK1 Perfect Telescope Alignment 1.25" | eBay

The other doesn't mention adjustment:

Laser collimator telescope collimator- 1.25 / 2 inches | eBay

Both are Chinese laser collimators which are being sold under different brands.

I have one and mine needed to be collimated and may need to be collimated again when dropped on a hard surface.

It's not hard to collimate the laser; an Allen wrench and a DIY jig is required (Google on laser collimator jig or similar).

Once collimated it's a good tool for alignment of the secondary mirror and via the barlowed laser collimation principal for collimating the primary mirror.

The Seben is only on/off and has no 1,25" to 2" adapter, which makes the other one - for the given - price more interesting as it has an additional adapter and has 7 increments of brightness of the laser.