Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi lads......Been looking forward to attending this stargazing live event for over a week now and meeting everyone..But at the last minute the gaffer needed me to work....wasnt very impressed to say the least.Sounds like you all had a great night wish i could have been there.... maybe next time.Will be trying to get to the next meeting work permitting and meet you all there if its ok

Cheers andy

Shame you couldn't make it Andy but there'll be plenty more opportunities/meetings/events for you to join us. There is also our AGM next week on Wednesday at Horbury.

Welcome Andy and you are more than welcome to join us any time, society event or last minute stargazing at Winscarr :-)

Kieran, write up and photos look great I know which set you haven't got so can resend those 5 if you want to put them on there is a good one of you at the scope I think.

Unfortunately I won't be out this weekend as my girls are across with a few of their mates so might just have to stick to the back garden, good luck if you get out.

Welcome Andy and you are more than welcome to join us any time, society event or last minute stargazing at Winscarr :-)

Kieran, write up and photos look great I know which set you haven't got so can resend those 5 if you want to put them on there is a good one of you at the scope I think.

Unfortunately I won't be out this weekend as my girls are across with a few of their mates so might just have to stick to the back garden, good luck if you get out.

Yeah send them over Paul and I will add them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That really red star I kept banging on about is Hind's Crimson Star in Lepus. Found it tonight easily with my little frac. Apparently it's a carbon star and may be reddest star that is visible.

I've seen it before Sammy great little find, also have you had a look at la superba in canes venatici also another Carbon star which is really nice too.

Sounds like the star gazing live event went really well and a real shame I couldn't attend.

Had the scope out twice in two months due to being so busy which unlike last year is pretty pathetic!

Not seen any of these objects Damian you are going to have to point them out to me next time we are out, and yes it's a shame you didn't make it to the stargazing event you missed a very good night buddy.

• 2 weeks later...

early on it was extremely clear - but then went all wonky at about 10pm with haze and dew.

but i got an excellent 2 hours in beforehand and got to try out my new UHC filter. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Never seen orion neb quite so dramatic and detailed. Couldnt quite make out the cone neb though, but the rosette neb had some structure which was nice.

keiran, your ccd UHC filter was good, but a proper visual UHC made it really explode into the eyepiece, as the ccd filter is a bit too narrowband for visual use.

didnt know that crash - cheers,

I think half the battle / joy / discovery of this hobby is not really having a full understanding or idea of what it is you are expecting to see when you do find an object, especially the more obscure ngcs. Only point of reference is the odd sketch you find online. I was looking for light nebula, not dark lanes - so I think that one will get revisited next time out.

I was pleasantly surprised by M50 heart shaped cluster, I didnt know that was what it was called - was just going off a little list i had scribbled down and it was a real "cool, look at that!" moment. Same goes for ngc 2301 in monoceros, its almost more a globular than an open cluster and really had some beautiful shapes within the fainter stars of the cluster.

Archived