Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got your voice mail cheers soupy, back home now and clear here but thrown towel in and drying everything out.

Hope you guys get some better skies than I had tonight if you get out.

Jupiter looked good last night although my eye piece and finder not only dewed up but froze up too!

Winscarr was bitter tonight but the Dickies padded overhauls worked a treat and I never felt cold at all or last night can highly recommend them.

I stopped off at a new spot near darrington to see how dark it is.milky way just visible which is better than at home and managed to see m33 with the bins which is much better than at home so nice to have somewhere 15 mins from me that's better than at home but doesn't require an hour's drive.

Think I just missed Mapstar coming out of Winscar entrance in a white car?

I ventured down anyway and parked up next to a MPV with interior light on, but no-one in it. Odd. Then 2 lads came out of the trees with carrier bags of something and drove straight off. Weird.

Nothing visible from next to the reservoir even though it'd been clear on the way. Had a quick brew and decided not to bother any longer and head home. Then only 5 mins drive away I notice it's clear skies, and it remains so most of the way home. Bit of a wasted trip really, I should have gone straight home from footy and I might have had a couple of hours. Too late to bother going out when I get in.

Think I just missed Mapstar coming out of Winscar entrance in a white car?

I ventured down anyway and parked up next to a MPV with interior light on, but no-one in it. Odd. Then 2 lads came out of the trees with carrier bags of something and drove straight off. Weird.

Nothing visible from next to the reservoir even though it'd been clear on the way. Had a quick brew and decided not to bother any longer and head home. Then only 5 mins drive away I notice it's clear skies, and it remains so most of the way home. Bit of a wasted trip really, I should have gone straight home from footy and I might have had a couple of hours. Too late to bother going out when I get in.

Were you in the black Citroën? That was me in the white estate, shame as I did think it was you but wasn't sure? and would've been good to have a chat.Two minutes earlier and would've still been packing up?

The two lad's had been there about an hour? Lighting a fire in the tree line? Very strange as you say?

Clear as a bell here but I need my sleep so giving it a miss and probably won't get out again till galloway?

Had a good night tonight in the garden. Not had the scope out for ages so it was good to get back into it and see how the well the dew heater tape works (seemed to work well).

Just had a scan around at a few easy things, M31, Almach, then Uranus, Double Cluster (one of my favourites), M103, M36, 37 & 38 in Auriga, Castor while I waited for Jupiter to rise above the house next door. I observed Jupiter for a while then some wispy cloud started coming over so I packed up.

Jupiter seemed really bright. I'm hoping to pull a late one this week to get the camera on it when high in the sky.

Just packed in now... I too had a good few hours in the garden, but spent most of the time getting frustrated at not getting my guiding right, think it must have been the rushed set up and not properly polar aligning. However, Jupiter was an excellent sight and managed a close up view of both M45 and M42 in the EP, the guider camera and the new Titan but as the scope wasn't guiding properly I couldn't get any decent images. Sammy and Kieran I may need your help :-)

Will try and help Paul. Kieran will know more than me on guiding. I don't think you need to polar align perfectly when guiding but maybe if you are quite a bit off it may give the guiding set up too much to do? Also with a big reflector (+guidescope and two cameras) you would need to balance everything correctly and make sure nothing's loose. Just some thoughts.

Last night was a really good back garden night, got loads of stuff viewed and even found the little dumbbell neb! Never got that in the back yard before!

But just as Jupiter rose above next doors house I had a sudden attack of the sleepies and called it a night.

I think the polar alignment was quite out, I know the guider works well as I have had it working perfectly before. I Should also consider the balance as well I did rush things a little to try to get it up and running, I was on the drive as well and it's not quite level so I should have done that as well! still took me the best part of an hour to sort it all out to start imaging. There was a little wind as well which won't have helped guiding.

Too many things slightly out there would probably have been a little too much for the guider. I'll take my time in future and sort it out properly, but any help is much appreciated. :-)

Archived