Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My patch of sky needs a garden...

Sure we dream of moving to less light polluted area's for our astronomical all and some lucky folk do... my dream is this & also dream of having a garden... I live in a flat with lovely grassed gardens but with huge in your face trees blocking out some of the sky at the front of my flat that I can just about access via my window with a bit of squeeze & drop to get out & is hard to get back in & with folk walking past the side of the gardens over a fence so not at all private & then I have an open carpark also at the back & side of the flats but there is always folk walking past & cars coming in... hardly attractive options!!! :) Would you choose the front or the back to scope our sky or just give up when ive only just begun... ?!?! Think it's time to think about moving for my hobby... :icon_scratch:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm sounds like you have a challenge on your hands :)

I would go for the quieter back garden and try and find some breaks in the trees. Are there no parks nearby that you could go to with a friend maybe?

Hi... my friends live too far away... :) I could look for breaks in the trees perhaps or bend a few branches... :icon_scratch:

It should be far enough away from Stockport to improve upon the skies you currently have I would guess? Do you liveok side or outside the M60 circular?

I live just before the M60 circular 10 minutes in a friends car to Stockport town... much better skies wise... less light pollution... :icon_scratch:

I am so lucky to have some reasonable skies from which to observe from. The small garden we have is something I am forever tweaking.

At the moment its not looking its best as I am yet again in the process of a change around to part of it. No surprise to see where I set up my 925. :) Sorry to read you have a difficult location from which to get the out and check out the night skies Ella.

Here's a pic from last year... if anyone needs a gardener pm me :icon_scratch:

I am so lucky to have some reasonable skies from which to observe from. The small garden we have is something I am forever tweaking.

At the moment its not looking its best as I am yet again in the process of a change around to part of it. No surprise to see where I set up my 925. :) Sorry to read you have a difficult location from which to get the out and check out the night skies Ella.

Here's a pic from last year... if anyone needs a gardener pm me :icon_scratch:

Hi... with reasonable skies & a fantastic garden you got both my dreams... !!! Can certainly guess where your scope goes... again what a fantastic garden to scope & relax in... :)

Thanks Ella....Relax and observe are the main objective's in using it. I do very much enjoy changing things about with it and am slowly, it seems, giving it an astronomical makeover. :)

Just can't escape how all encompassing the astronomy has become, my better half must be wondering where it all went wrong! :icon_scratch::)

I'm a bit worried about the Lion cage at the back though is that where the wife goes when your observing? lol

Hahaha... I would be the wife... it might be where my husband would be if I had one... :icon_scratch:

Thanks Ella....Relax and observe are the main objective's in using it. I do very much enjoy changing things about with it and am slowly, it seems, giving it an astronomical makeover. :)

Just can't escape how all encompassing the astronomy has become, my better half must be wondering where it all went wrong! :icon_scratch::)

LOL... :D:) !!! Im sure to get that astronomical full on fever too when I manage to get going... & eventually a garden like yours too enjoy it in... :D

Hi Ella,

I have a reasonable view of the night sky in my garden which is south facing but loads of street lights which really spoil the view. I tend to drive 15 miles when there's a new moon to where the site is black, excellent views.

Always good to take a friend with you though, any other time I just have to make the most of what I have.

Moving is really a big step.

Are the tree's the councils responsability if so complain to them that they are blocking out the light and they may cut them back,worth looking in to.

Good look.

Hi Ella,

I have a reasonable view of the night sky in my garden which is south facing but loads of street lights which really spoil the view. I tend to drive 15 miles when there's a new moon to where the site is black, excellent views.

Always good to take a friend with you though, any other time I just have to make the most of what I have.

Moving is really a big step.

Are the tree's the councils responsability if so complain to them that they are blocking out the light and they may cut them back,worth looking in to.

Good look.

Hi Ryan... I only moved here just over a year ago so another move would be stressful... I will just have to enjoy dreaming of moving for awhile... :icon_scratch: Light pollution is an astronomers nightmare I can certainly relate... Yes looks like I may have to do some travelling out like yourself & drag one of my friends along even if they don't share my enthusiasm for astronomy... :) I love our trees & would like them to stay as they are... though they are annoying for my hobby... :)

In the meantime research dark areas in your location and don't forget a good holdall bag. The researching bit can be great fun. Just get a good pair of bins and an OS map away from towns,cities even villages and make a note of the best dark skies rating them as you go along.

In the meantime research dark areas in your location and don't forget a good holdall bag. The researching bit can be great fun. Just get a good pair of bins and an OS map away from towns,cities even villages and make a note of the best dark skies rating them as you go along.

Yes researching the areas will be fun discovering new unkown places... will get some binos too I do need a pair can't let my scope do all the night sky work... :icon_scratch:

Archived