Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

gillipies

Eyepeices for a 1145p

Hi all,

After some advice about getting some new eyepieces. The information that comes with my scope suggests that the highest practical power its 228x, however the max I can get at the moment is 100x (I assume using the 10mm with the 2x Barlow).

Question is, what's the best way to get the extra power out of it? I'm guessing a 6mm or similar and/or a 3x Barlow but not sure what is the best way? I don't have a massive budget (hence the scope!) but I gather about £30 is about right for an eyepiece?

Also, a lot of reviews I read before buying it said that the eyepieces that come with it are poor and need replacing but \i'm quite happy with what I can see so far. If I bought an expensive 25mm, what would it do that the one I've already got doesn't?

The 25mm supplied isn't actually bad at all, I would keep it for now and look at getting a mid power piece instead. For around £30 you will be able to replace the 10mm with something better, but I'll leave it upto others to make suggestions! I just know the 10mm is no good as I have the same scope :icon_scratch:

Oh and another thing to add: I don't think I've ever had a pleasant view above about 150x magnification as closer to the "max" magnification view is sacrificing the clarify of the image.

Edited by Karlos

I looked at the gso eyepieces to replace my SW 10mm. Decided on the 9mm as I'm used to that mag from a previous Meade scope, plus I like pushing the limits with a 3x Barlow...

The 10mm really is poor though, using that with my Barlow just multiplies its poor optics

At F4.4 your 'scope is more suited to wide-angle viewing than planetary...however you should still get good views of the moon..jupiter & saturn but not at silly high mags.

an 8mm BST Explorer would do... or a 15mm for wider views & can use your barlow with it for planetary...at 4 inches aperture you are limited on light-collection & therefore clarity to magnify too much..so the small fuzz becomes a big fuzz