740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Dark Sky Site - North of Brecon

stevetynant

cheers David - if you could post a google maps link at some point I'd appreciate a pm - no rush - hopefully I'm here for the long haul now

Never really appreciated what a truly dark sky site could offer - just eager to find a few alternatives now

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi David and Steve, the site I've used is not big enough for a big meet as I reckon only about 3 to 4 cars max will fit. Its excellent for use on your own or with a couple of others. Let me know if you're interested and I'll PM you the co-ordinates (won't post them up for security reasons).

Out of interest another site I've spied in the Usk Reservoir area whilst biking is here : 51.930215,-3.718845 Its on a through road which is why I haven't used it on my own but it should be suitable for groups. Much darkness here :-)

Hi David-the one you've posted looks good and not too far or off road from where I currently use - I'd appreciate the co-ords of the other spot just so I can see whether its viable from where I am - I'll keep it private = perhaps we can sort out a mini meet there one day if its suitable

cheers again

Steve

Hi guys will hopefully spend some time up that way this week, will find a site big enough for everyone who wants to come and join us. Have a look on google maps for the cray res then the heol senni road that turns off left, then go to street view a few hundred meters up and have a look around. dark and quiet and big enough for just about all of SGL.

Ps can someone tell me please how to get the co ordinates off google maps.

Thanks

Edited by Dai150PL

Ps can someone tell me please how to get the co ordinates off google maps.

Thanks

As I understand it, you can't get co-ordinates directly from Google maps (unlike Google Earth) but there are several online sites which use Google Maps to do it for you.

I find Google Maps lat/long finder an easy one to use as it gives a good deal of information...

Hope it helps!!

• 1 month later...
Hi Capt - found a layby - its a viewing point actually - plenty of room to park the car and open skies then there looks like theres a picnic area below the pull in - so should be out of the way of the car headlights and I can't imagine anyones gong to be having their sandwiches there in the dark. - theres a derelict pub the Drovers Arms nearby -

The Drover's Arms isn't derelict, but it's used by the Army for training purposes. I understand they occasionally let it be opened for the public to see (not to use as a pub though!)

The layby you mention looks very potential to me too. Bear in mind it's just within the Army's training area, so there might occasionally be flares in the air, and bullets flying

I was returning home northwards on the B4519 once, about 10pm, and noticed what I thought were red lights indicating a temporary light aircraft runway a few yards to my left. Except that the lights were moving, and pretty fast too. Turns out they weren't lights, and it wasn't a runway. It was two lines of tracer bullets ...

Edited by Probablynot

I used the Epynt site just after New Year - thats the viewing point not the hard stand by the Drovers - its the darkest site I've been too but it was just too cold to stay long that day. We had to use the actual pull in which isn't flat rather than the picnic area which is mostly grass to be honest. I think the pull in just past the Drovers is the best site as its flat- its also used by one of our other group members - hopefullu we can get a mini meet up there- probably the Autumn now I would guess but I'm going up with my camera and tripod in the summer to try and get some photos of the Milky Way - it was great last time should be better still in September

cheers PN -thanks for the heads up (or down as the case may be)

Avoid the weekend of Wales Rally GB it looks like they are running the same route as last year ... in which case it will be busy on the ranges over the weekend and before it as well as the Epynt stages it's rally route between Brecon and Builth...

I will be back and fore a few times over those weeks...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

13-16th sept but there will be traffic before it as well ... the range road is the official rally route for all competitor/support traffic.

Here's a link to last years map...

Anytime any traffic needs to get betweeen North/Midwales and Cardiff it will be coming across the ranges The bussiest night day will be Saturday Night Sunday morning - The Drovers area is used for course car service

I am still waiting for the official invite and info for this year I usually work a week before and a few days after on course car prep last year we we based at Sennybridge camp hopefully they will have us back :D

Peter...

Edited by Psychobilly