SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dark Sky Site - North of Brecon

stevetynant

I'm thinking of heading up the B4519 between Brecon and Builth Wells (if I knew how to use Google maps I'd show you) shortly for an evenings star gazing - its about an hour and 20 away from where I live- pretty elevated with panaramic views and hopefully I'll find somewhere where I can pull off road - - just wondered if anyone from Brecon / Powys have any thoughts on suitability.

Looking at the dark sky maps it looks like it could be good and I haven't got a 4x4 so where ever I go its going to have to have reasonable roads - appreciate anyones thoughts on this. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=212014872302105681885.0004b8de92d9e81068553&msa=0&ll=52.096558,-3.483221&spn=0.00134,0.002411&iwloc=0004b8dea615f02767d47 well heres the map sort of - can't quite get to grips with it but if you zoom into street view and rotate North you'll seea Digger which is by a half standing which is where my initial plan is to head to

cheers folks (can't wait for Blaenavon - want to get out and about now- cue the rain :0) )

Steve

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Gareth - the difficulty I had was I couldn't do it from the street map niew so I could pinpoint where I wanted the marker to sit but its close as dammit - I'll check out the co-ords when I get home- looking forward to it and kind of nervous at the same time lol.:icon_scratch:

I spend a lot time each year at the Usk Reservior, that area is nice and dark with options of getting right off the road into the forestry and away from any possible traffic. Will be scouting the area for good locations and will report back to anyone if interested.

I know the road over the Eppynt, I have friends in Lower Chapel. You should get great views between Brecon and Builth, but you'll need to find a spot where car lights wont affect you as that road does get used. Don't attempt it if there is any snow or ice, even with a 4x4, it's pretty isolated out there. THe other issue is that the road goes through the army training range so you aren't supposed to go off the road, so it may be harder to find somewhere away from car lights

The road is pretty windy and slow too. Tell us if you find a good layby and I'll join you!

Hi Capt - found a layby - its a viewing point actually - plenty of room to park the car and open skies then there looks like theres a picnic area below the pull in - so should be out of the way of the car headlights and I can't imagine anyones gong to be having their sandwiches there in the dark

I've tried to post on Google maps but I just can't figure it out but if you look on the other post I did with the map - theres a derelict pub the Drovers Arms nearby - just drive past, then theres (heading away from Brecon towards Builth) a hardstanding on the left where I was thinking of going then about another 1/2 mile on theres a large tarmac pull in on the right - you can't miss it its the only one of its kind along the road and the small picnic area is just below it off the road.

I'm thinking of getting there fairly early to find my barings just before the dark sets in hopefully - Originally my plan was Friday this week but looking at the forecast its set for Rain all weekend so might have to put if off for a week or two - would love the company - if I'm going to go I'll leave you a pm with my phone number.

Thanks for the input much appreciated - fingers crossed for clear skies

Steve

Will do Matt - weather not looking too good for Friday but Sat / Sunday looking better - your welcome to join me if you fancy a night out. Strangely enough I just bought a dark sky map from Phillips- it shows the area I'm looking at is in the second darkest category accross Wales- the darkest is in Ceredigion - which is great cos thats where I spend most of my summers- can see the scope heading West quite a bit this year.

no probs Matt-another time perhaps- if I make it I'll try and write up a report of how suitable it is- never done it before so perhaps if I try this and then manage to get to Blaenavon in March I'll have some idea of what works- hope its nothing too serious and you can get out and about soon

cheers

Steve

I spend a lot time each year at the Usk Reservior, that area is nice and dark with options of getting right off the road into the forestry and away from any possible traffic. Will be scouting the area for good locations and will report back to anyone if interested.

I've used a site near the Usk Reservoir which is superb. Its the best site I've used - the darkest skies, no surrounding lights, no through traffic and no sky obstructions. I knew of it because I quite often do an off-road mountain bike ride around that area. The only drawback is that it takes about 75 minutes to drive there from my house so a good forecast of clear skies is essential. Let me know if you're interested and I'll PM you the site co-ordinates :-)

Miles from me, but if you head from Brecon to Usk reservoir and then another few miles you get to Llanddeusant. It has the red kite feeding station.

Turn left there and about mile down is where my sisters new small holding and campsite will be. They got the farmhouse roof replaced this week so the campsite will be ready late this year or early next year. They are astronomer friendly. I'll post more once they are up and running.

Sky is so dark there I can never find my car without a torch.

Cheers

Ian

Not that kind of campsite I'm afraid. I think they call it "rough camping" ? Basically for people who can carry or drive their accommodation in for the night that doesn't require towing of caravans. They are funny like that.

Cheers

Ian

Sounds good, will send you a pm with an email address. :D

Suss a site out up that way for a group meet guys if its possible and you dont mind (if you want to keep your site private and just for your own viewing I completely understand that as well - Wales is a big place so no probs).

I'm spending a bit of times in the evening looking out for another dark sky site that a few of us could go to a bit further into mid/west Wales - god bless Google street view - plenty of easily accessable places with potential but getting somewhere where off road is easily accessed not quite so easy.

I've never seen skies like I did on the Epynt last week - would be a good share for a few I think :(

Archived