SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I can empathise with you guys and gals.

Not had any mouse problems but I have seen my fair share of rats.

With me living on the edge of farmland they decided that under my garden shed would make a good new home right opposite my well stocked bird tables. :icon_scratch:

Sadly to say they had to go and dispatched eight of them by the good old fashion means of a rat trap.

Heart breaking for me to do it but they had to go!

5083263139_92faf0aa0c.jpg

Ratty by Mark S Payne, on Flickr

5096843588_ac62713ba7.jpg

Oh No! Time to go! by Mark S Payne, on Flickr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I know they don't like vacuum cleaners in my garage now lol, I do think these ultra sound things work though I tried leaving food on the floor in the garage and it still there, well until the dogs see it that is. My daughters toy poodle would get them if she could squeeze through the small gaps, she goes crazy. As for humane, well there are only certain places you can legally let them go and you're probably giving someone else your pest, I'll protect my castle anyway I can and if that means death to mousey then death it is.

Mice are easy to get rid of. Take an old fashioned snap-trap, and a slice of a chocolate tootsie roll. Super glue the slice of tootsie to the trap trigger, set it and forget it.

The mouse will not be able to get the bait off the trap (it's glued on!) and gets snapped every time. The bait remains uneaten, and the trap can just be set again. The tootsie treat never dries out or rots, even the ants aren't interested in it - but the chocolate fragrance brings the little furry critters in every time.

My school is next to a dairy farm, and (being California) all the kids eat outdoors every day. A fantasy land for attracting rodents! The 'Tootsie Traps' keep my room (and scopes!) free of mouse droppings and other litter and damage.

Good luck!

Dan

Mice are easy to get rid of. Take an old fashioned snap-trap, and a slice of a chocolate tootsie roll. Super glue the slice of tootsie to the trap trigger, set it and forget it.

The mouse will not be able to get the bait off the trap (it's glued on!) and gets snapped every time. The bait remains uneaten, and the trap can just be set again.

Dan

Funny you should say that I was using jammy dodgers split down the middle using the jam to stick it to the trap trigger.

Worked every time, well until it rained and turned to goo which we have our fair share over here :icon_scratch:

When I was a teenager we had lots of mice - we let rabbits and guinea pigs run free in the conservatory and it was like a small rodent free for all :icon_scratch:

I came down one morning to find the fattest mouse ever in the kitchen shuffling around with a snap trap on its head. When I freed it the poor thing was in a bit of a state so I clubbed it to death with a wellie. By far the saddest thing I ever had to do. No more snap traps for me. I used to catch them in a humane trap after that (my mice weren't very clever so stayed in it!) and drove them out of town on my motorbike to release them.

I think even rats are cute. Its their long bald tails that i hate. At least mice do not spread disease. My local pet store sells both as pets. I love going down there if i am in the area and seeing them.

Its the damn talking parrot in the shop that annoys me. He/she has picked up some very colourful language over the years. Its not for sale, it belongs to one of the people working there.

It was humans :icon_scratch:, worst plague of all :)

Fair enough.

Now back on point.

Mice WILL eat through electrical cables etc just as much as rats. I THINK though that mice just sharpen their teeth on the copper wire inside.......wheras rats will actually eat the stuff.

Either way, its spiders i fear more.

Either way, its spiders i fear more.

Whilst living in New Orleans many years ago, i once left my car for a month without using it. Upon opening it i discovered it was infested with Cockroaches..

EVEN WORSE, i was told by the exterminator that the cockroaches had come from hundreds of eggs laid between empty unused flattened take away pizza boxes, and it happens all the time (my ex roommate was a delivery driver)

I never drove the car again and stopped eating take away pizza.

Whilst living in New Orleans many years ago, i once left my car for a month without using it. Upon opening it i discovered it was infested with Cockroaches..

EVEN WORSE, i was told by the exterminator that the cockroaches had come from hundreds of eggs laid between empty unused flattened take away pizza boxes, and it happens all the time (my ex roommate was a delivery driver)

I never drove the car again and stopped eating take away pizza.

I am not fond of roaches................but i dislike pizza even more.

I do not mind spiders very much (maybe because my sister was terrified of them). I once had a very useful jeweled garden spider make its web across a little window pane in my bedroom. It captured any mosquito trying to enter through it.

Mosquitoes are my least favourite creature EVER!!

Mosquitoes are my least favourite creature EVER!!

Too fight! we get our fair share of flying biting insects round here. The only downside to the variety of wonderful wildlife that is evident everyday. Members of North Lincs Astro will testify to this.

I once shared a flat with a guy who was into thrash metal type music and used to go out every Friday with his hair waxed into spikes.

We knew we had a mouse problem - food being eaten on the surfaces in the kitchen, etc.

We discovered it was a large rat problem when Chris, the flatmate, woke at 5am one day to find a rat on his pillow nibbling the wax off his hair! Chris moved out shortly after that, to be replaced by a huge rugby prop.

Not long after, we were moving a decrepit armchair - taking it to the tip - when a rat jumped out of the chair onto the rugby player's head and shoulders. I've never seen a rugby forward move so quickly...

Archived