Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wide Field Cygnus-ish from last night

SteveL

Just thought I`d try this last night.... (please ignore the low flying house in the image)

Canon 350D (unmodded), piggybacked on my NS8GPS

Unguided

13 x 60s @ ISO800, 5 Bias, 5 Darks

Stacked: DSS

Tweak: Photoshop CS, overprocessed almost totally to death with NoelC's Tools, but I dont care!

(Note: The sky was starting to lighten quickly towards the lower-left of the image)

20070620-cygnus-wide-post-scaled.jpg

And for reference, from Starry Night:

20070620-cygnus-wide-snpp.jpg

First time I have done this... I`m amazed at the detail! I`ll be doing this more often i think...... I need longer subs ... again... :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I`m quite fortunate with light pollution, or at least I think I am. I try to judge my sky mag using Ursa Minor, and its almost always ~4 and sometimes even 5-ish (borderline averted vision). To my south I have effectivly a house (neighbour), one very small road, another house, and then 10-15 miles of empty Cambridgeshire countryside until you get to Royston. East is blocked by the house, but that also blocks the direct LP from the street lamps. West I have a view down to about 15-20 degrees (apart from one house roof that just hid the moon last night). North is about the same as east... maybe the rooftops are a little higher.

You have done a great piece of work there Steve. I'ts nice to see a wide field

Milky Way exposure, and what a great Idea supplementing it with a reference pic from SN.

I used to so enjoy coloured slide shows of scenes like these during Astronomy Society evenings. They always impressed me more than the higher mag ones.

It would be great to use Microsoft Power Point and make a slide show of images like these and play them out on a digital projector. Wow.

Ron. :)

Doc - Thank you....

KK - here is a single raw image from this (60 second sub, scaled down from RAW/LArge size of 3456x2304)... how the light pollution compared to yours? Its hard to tell without anyone else's images/experiences to compare against.

cygnus_001_-60s-800-100208.jpg

As I said in my original post, very very over processed to get the detail out.

Shooting this image, with now real idea what it would come out like, and then seeing it appear while I was processing it has made me sit back and think about the whole ethos of "I need more magnification, I want the objects to be HUGE"... I can see a huge wide field montage of the sky being on my agenda when the nights get longer/darker.

Shooting this image, with now real idea what it would come out like, and then seeing it appear while I was processing it has made me sit back and think about the whole ethos of "I need more magnification, I want the objects to be HUGE"... I can see a huge wide field montage of the sky being on my agenda when the nights get longer/darker.

I found the image scale to be an issue recently when I realised the huge size of some of the stuff up there when you are imaging them. I used a 135mm camera lens with my SC3 webcam to good effect last year and that wasn't wide enough to get the north american nebula in the frame. A lot of the intereesting stuff is very large if you consider a webcam view is similar to a 6mm EP, and a serious CCD is only a little better at 12mm or thereabouts. The big widefield Cygnus/Barnards loop type stuff need a massive widefield that is very difficult to get through a 'scope. I really know what you mean Steve, there's more than one way to approach this astrophotography thing, and the widefield is easier on the trackng requirements.

Kaptain klevtsov

Archived