Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Andymarrison

First scope - Skywatcher 200p EQ-5 a good choice?

Hello everyone! I'm a new member looking to take the plunge and buy a scope, after many years of using a pair of 10 x 50s to hop around the sky. My priorities are to see more of the fainter deep sky objects, and then later maybe try my hand at some Astro imaging. My budget is £500, and I'm looking for something on a GEM with manual controls to start with, then I may add a motor later. I'd consider goto, but would rather spend the money on some really good quality optics/mount than on electronics if it comes down to a choice. I'm thinking about the Skywatcher 200p newtonian on the EQ-5 mount - does anyone have any experience or views of this scope, or any other advice? Thanks!

Hi Andy, The 200P is certainly a good scope, and will get you a good view of DSO's and planets. For astro imaging, you might need a EQ5Pro or EQ6, which will push the price up a fair bit. Some of the imagers on here will be able to confirm that, i'm sure. For viewing, an EQ5 should be fine though. :)

Hi Andy, The 200P is certainly a good scope, and will get you a good view of DSO's and planets. For astro imaging, you might need a EQ5Pro or EQ6, which will push the price up a fair bit. Some of the imagers on here will be able to confirm that, i'm sure. For viewing, an EQ5 should be fine though. :)

Thanks Catweazel - imaging is probably a good year or two away - no point rushing these things! - so it's good to hear that the scope will be a good'un for viewing.

Hi Andy... The 200p is indeed a good 'scope & you will get some great views with it, however, the mount you propose will probably not hold the eventual weight you will need down the line for imaging. I would suggest getting the book 'Making Every Photon Count' before buying anything...it will save a few headaches & costly errors. If you wanted to go the webcam route...this is well worth a look at....http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/40665-primer-planetary-imaging-toucam.html

Thanks very much for all the great advice guys. Having read all the comments re imaging and the 200p/EQ-5 mount combination, would I be sensible to consider the same mount but with a 150p DS tube - price is about the same and I'd gain some portability, and I wondered whether the lighter scope would mean that the combo might be more suited to some imaging work later on. I know I'm sacrificing the sacred aperture, but I'm not experienced enough to have a real feel for the difference that will make, particularly for visual observing, which will always be my main interest. If I were to use the same magnification on each of these two scopes to look at a DSO, would the difference really be a "wow" type of difference, or much more subtle? A very subjective thing, I know, but any comments would be very welcome.

Same as the other guys here - fine for viewing.

I started with this combination.

But really would consider, a HEQ5 mount.