Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

sabana

Location Location Location

How many of you moved to an area beacuae it has a dark sky reputation or very near to one?

I keep looking at properties mid Wales and being fortunate enough to be self employed from home its easier to do. But dark skies are almost the same excitement as aperture.

So did I and can say it was the best move I ever made. Couldn't go back into town again. Been here 13 years now.

The quality of the night sky would be a big factor, not being a 'rat race' person. If I had to do a cleaning job to live in a beautiful area, I'd do it (had done it in the past).

I emigrated to a high, dark location with good weather and 'turned professional' so to speak. No regrets whatever. I absolutley love it. When I get away to visit friends etc I find the muddy orange sky really disturbing.

Olly

I get away to visit friends etc I find the muddy orange sky really disturbing.

Olly

That is interesting you should say that.

My skies are not too bad and a short drive gives me good skies.

I do find when I am in some of the bigger cities much the same thing. Disturbed is a good word (I probably am anyway :)) along with intense claustrophobia.

I don't think we have much understanding at all about the impacts of LP yet.

not being a 'rat race' person.

We moved 3 years ago to a smallholding on the Somerset Levels, and are off grid as much as possible, nice and quiet, and DARK

Quiet often sit outside, just listening and looking up

5 arces, so no neighbours - loving it

I'm in much the same situation, Frank, albeit a little further west.

My wife jokes (I think :) that I'll get a nose-bleed if I have to go into Taunton. In fairness I admit that it would actually be relatively easy to go for several months without leaving the property. I do occasionally have to go to London for work and despite the fact I spent a year working in the City I find it a very unpleasant experience now.

James

JamesF

No-one could pay me enought to move back to a town

Did 20 years as an IT contractor, traveling from Cornwall to Scotland and a few longer trips - Its hard work here, but quality of lifestyle is unbeatable, total privacy, and just sitting outside of a night time, priceless.

Taunton, is that a town, lol, might drive to Somerton, and thats it.

Edited by Frank the Troll

How many of you moved to an area beacuae it has a dark sky reputation or very near to one?

I keep looking at properties mid Wales and being fortunate enough to be self employed from home its easier to do. But dark skies are almost the same excitement as aperture.

We moved from the Midlands to a dark sky area of Mid Wales four years ago. Although dark skies were a factor, lifestyle, scenery and community were also considerations. Due to work- I can't be here all the time-but when I get back it's fantastic. No regrets moving here at all. We don't get Olly's weather- but then he doesn't have to back in the office by 9:00 am Monday!

Dscf4741_edit.jpg

Edited by laser_jock99

I did the opposite and moved from a dark sky to really bad light pollution. At least I appreciate how good the sky is when I go back for a visit.

Always lived in the darkness of Mid Wales, don't think I'd like to live in the bright lights of a city or town.

Watford to rural Lincolnshire. Nothing to do with dark skies at the time but now it's a bonus.

As far as I can recall, Taunton is a dive. :)

Now, Now, thats a bit uncalled for, the best bit about Taunton, is the M5, so you can escape!!