Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

JimRymer

Hello can anyone help?

Hello, I am very new to astronomy but always loved it as a kid now later on in life, and with a bit more time on my hands, I have rekindled this interest. My wife has purchased a beginers telescope a Celestron LCM60 with Go to Nexstar which is good for looking at the moon but of little use for other objects as it is not powerful enough . I would love to develop this interest and to get a better telescope can anyone advisise me. The internet is awash with options and I am a bit at sea as to what to get next. I am delighted to have re-egnited this passion, and its great to be amoung like minded people.Thanks for any help offered

regards

Jim R. :)

Skyliner Dobsonion 200 if you can afford it, 150 will do if budget is stretched.

Hi Jim, welcome to SGL :)

The answer to your question will depend on your budget, and what your requirements are from a scope. As Tiddles says, the 200p or 150P are both good starter scopes. With the Dob versions, you have to guide them yourself by nudging them about, but they are the cheapest way of getting good aperture. Have you also considered portability? Do you need to travel to dark sky sites, or are you Ok in your back garden?

Also, have you seen any scopes you like the look of, or done any research? Do you want an all round scope, or are you more interested in lunar & planetary viewing or DSO's?

CW

Hi Jim... & welcome to the forum

this mount can take some of the other celestron 'scopes... but check before buying

iv jus got in to sky watching my self and have brought a skywatch 130p very good if your looking for a new scope and not to much money

Hi Jim

First a warm welcome to the SGL, Now as you will find out this is not a cheap hobby

but if you are serious about this hobby then I would get explorer-200p-eq5-10923-20464

Brand: Skywatcher as shown in First Light optics at the top of the page click on yellow spot

This will save you money in the long run as you will wish you had a big scope later on or go all the way and get the GoTo version

Good luck and clear skies

Doug

Hi jim, if you like the goto function and want to see more, celestron SE range are worth a peek, my 4SE got me started and showed me the basic 'wonders' of the sky.

Hi Jim welcome to SGL :)

Can wholeheartedly recommend the Skywatcher 200p, but I guess it depends on budget.