Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1805 - Heart Nebula

Darth Takahashi

This is actually my first Hubble pallet image. Still needs a little work but will have to wait until after my trip to Japan since I need some more adapters to get the ccd camera at the right distance from the reducer, hence the coma towards the edge of the field of view.

Taken with the Sky90 version II (SV).

I big thanks goes to Matt for pointing me in the right direction for the Hubble pallet adjustments ;-).

I hope you like it.

post-15658-133877730717_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys, however, I have a feeling that I'm going to be coming back to this image soon since Matt has told me it isn't quite right. Needs to be shifted a little more toward the "burnt Orange / Gold" colour pallet?:):eek::icon_eek:

Still I like the way the blue has come through the middle of the image!

That's got some potential Neil. :icon_scratch:

I think you have made the same mistake as me with the channel mapping.

My image was just as green as yours... I followed the guide that Tim has posted - and came up with the attached image. A much better colour.

Really look forward to seeing the whole thing mapped differently.

Started off with this...

70865d1318779927t-final-ish-ic1795-hubble-palette-ic1795_final_sii_ha_oiii_sgl.jpg

After some advice and following Tim's link I got...

70916d1318794362t-final-ish-ic1795-hubble-palette-ic1795_final_sii_ha_oiiiv4_sgl.jpg

Threads >>HERE<< if you want to read it.

Ant

Hi all,

The link posted is a great start but may be a bit misleading to some. The steps laid out in the conversion to the Hubble pallet are a start, but need to be tweaked to the individual image due to differences in signal with in each separate channel etc. So use selective colour as laid out THEN go back to selective colour and keep tweaking until you get a colour scheme you are happy with. It's all trial and error and sometimes can be frustrating but in the end worthwhile. (Great image by the way Ant!)

Only colour channels I tweak with selective colour are Green/Yellow/Cyan/Magenta.

Magenta's are reduced and tweaked to level background and reduce magenta hue surrounding stars.

This is what I managed with processing Neils image with the Tiffs but some where down the line I made a booboo in the processing (something I did in Pixinsight) and haven't been back to sort it out (bottom left of image some anomaly going on).

I don't have no specific routine of doing this and that with selective colour in photoshop, only use the guidelines laid out and then take it from there.

As I wrote earlier, the colours are your own and there is no wrong or right just what you prefer yourself but keep an eye on the Histogram for the colour channels and try and keep them all equal as best you can Green (Ha) will 9 times out of ten always dominate and other channels will have to be pushed to compensate and greens reduced as best you can with out adding to many artifacts and keeping a balanced image etc.

Second image has a reduced saturation as looking on here the colours are a bit to garish but it's all subjective to the person looking at it :icon_scratch:

post-17960-133877732605_thumb.jpg

post-17960-133877732613_thumb.jpg

greens reduced as best you can with out adding to many artifacts and keeping a balanced image etc

Thats interesting.....

Ive always left the green where it is and brought up the R&B to the same level, and desaturate magenta for the halos - I might try it your way next time :icon_scratch:

Thats interesting.....

Ive always left the green where it is and brought up the R&B to the same level, and desaturate magenta for the halos - I might try it your way next time :)

I find it totally depends on the total exposure length of the individual channel and the colour histogram? If it's the same total exposure time for all channels then it should be ok, and you will get a balanced image but if you are impatient like me then Ha usually has the most time spent on it :) and will dominate the image so will need slightly reducing as pushing the other channels to compensate will just add noise etc so it's about finding the balance and if need be I will even add the Ha as a separate layer mask to paint in any detail I may of lost.

Oh nearly forgot, "CTRL B" in photoshop brings up "colour balance" set to "HIGHLIGHTS" when adjusting each channel and keep an eye on the histogram.

This is my way of processing of course and everyone is different in what works best for them but the beauty is that we can mess about as much as we like and still go back to the beginning if it all goes wrong.

I would love to know how other people get there images? In fact I may start a thread :icon_scratch:

That's got some potential Neil. :icon_scratch:

I think you have made the same mistake as me with the channel mapping.

My image was just as green as yours... I followed the guide that Tim has posted - and came up with the attached image. A much better colour.

Really look forward to seeing the whole thing mapped differently.

Started off with this...

70865d1318779927t-final-ish-ic1795-hubble-palette-ic1795_final_sii_ha_oiii_sgl.jpg

After some advice and following Tim's link I got...

70916d1318794362t-final-ish-ic1795-hubble-palette-ic1795_final_sii_ha_oiiiv4_sgl.jpg

Threads >>HERE<< if you want to read it.

Ant

Thanks for that, I'll definitely take a look. I also have an action now kindly provided by Aggelos which I'm also studying at the moment.

Its fun learning new techniques!!!

I have collected the same times in each channel to try to balance the image, but find that SII especially need lots more exposure - 2x or even 3x, but it depends on the target obviously.

I think it depends on the ccd camera?

I find that the signal strength varies in the following order from stronges to weakest; Ha, SII and then OIII.

For me the OIII is definitely the weakest of all three.

Archived