Very faint NLC

Ah got it. Got plenty normal clouds here if you want them. How did you know to go up the lane Kain? Is there a rule that they have to be there in summer or is there a website to predict them or what?

You learn something new everyday. I've done mine for today so I can go back to bed now. :)

Kaptain Klevtsov

Only reason I went up the lane is because its pitch black up there.

From my house, my northen direction is full of streetlights, since I wanted to try for a picture, I didn't want the sky to be orange.

As for finding NLC, thats the fun bit, no one knows when they will appear! You just have to keep an eye out!

Kain

Kain, There is a competition on local radio here (Cumbria), and there are three questions, two of them have been answered, but the third one is stumping everybody.

the question? (What is the highest clouds that can be seen in the sky?) I suppose NLC's would fit the bill would they not?.

Ron. :wink:

Cirrus...I think..

Made from ice crystals due to the temperature of the atmosphere at that altitude...

Or are noctilucent clouds just cirrus clouds reflecting light..???

Or are noctilucent clouds the highest clouds of all....???

All this before my second cup of freshly brewed Colombian bean :shock:

Greg

Cirrus...I think..

Made from ice crystals due to the temperature of the atmosphere at that altitude...

Or are noctilucent clouds just cirrus clouds reflecting light..???

Or are noctilucent clouds the highest clouds of all....???

All this before my second cup of freshly brewed Colombian bean :shock:

Greg

:wink::cool: Then after the second cup all is much clearer?.

Thats a tough question Ron.

NLC clouds are the highest clouds that can be seen - but non many people know about them.

Cirrus are extreamly high - usually the highest clouds in the sky...but there is always a but!

Cumulonimbus clouds, can reach into the Tropopause, which is higher than Cirrus, but thats getting very techincal.

So the most likely answer to the question is NLC.

Oh and Greg, NLC arn't Cirrus clouds :wink:

Kain

Thats a tough question Ron.

NLC clouds are the highest clouds that can be seen - but non many people know about them.

Cirrus are extreamly high - usually the highest clouds in the sky...but there is always a but!

Cumulonimbus clouds, can reach into the Tropopause, which is higher than Cirrus, but thats getting very techincal.

So the most likely answer to the question is NLC.

Oh and Greg, NLC arn't Cirrus clouds :wink:

Kain

Thanks a lot Kain. I reckon most of the listeners to the programme the question came from, would know nothing of the types of clouds you have mentioned. I guess Cirrus would be the likliest bet.

Cheers mate.

Ron.

Thanks for that Kain... :wink:

Found this on the NASA website..

"Noctilucent clouds are very high clouds that look like cirrus clouds, but are much higher (75-90 km above the Earth’s surface) than clouds that we observe every day.

They are optically thin and can only be observed during twilight hours, when the sun is just below the horizon and only shines on the uppermost atmosphere. In this image, the limb of the Earth at the bottom transitions into the orange-colored troposphere, the lowest and most dense portion of the Earth’s atmosphere. The troposphere ends abruptly at the tropopause, which appears in the image as the sharp boundary between the orange- and blue- colored atmosphere. The silvery-blue noctilucent clouds are far above this boundary."

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=16538

Interesting stuff.. 8)

Archived