SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Call me a wimp but.....

earth titan

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. Not a wimp. Just sensible. I thought about going out last night, but it was as slippery as a well greased slippery thing, and I knew I'd end up doing myself a mischief. So I stayed in and had a nice glass of wine instead.

Well i'm a wimp as well then.

Just come in, everything got ice on it and i think i lost my toes!!, had to get out tho to try EQMOD for the first time.

As much as i like this hobby i want to enjoy being out with the scope and being sooo cold is not that enjoyable, plus the motors seem to dislike the cold and not sure what it might do to the laptop.

I'm half-seriously considering moving to another country, one where I haev a better chance of enjoying my hobbies!

The stargazing, well in Ireland I've had 2 clear nights when I could get out with any scope since New Years.

The kayaking - there hasn't been enough rainfall to make the rivers useful.

The mountainbiking, that's been okay though the dampness is all pervading and makes cycles a tad miserable and unfun.

I'm thinking the foothills of the French Alps, or possible Western Australia :)

On-topic though I see often on the CN forums people talking about what's required to get observing in low temps e.g .in minnesota or other northern states and it's scary. Dew heating on eyepieces and on all mirrors, many many clothing layers, thick boots, multiple layers of gloves and coverings on all exposed metal lest flesh freeze from touching it.. That's a lot of effort to get out observing so it's perfectly understandable to want to stay in and by the fire (a fire I'm so jealous as there's no fireplace inour place). I think that in your situation I'd be out freezing my bits off as I'm that star-starved this winter!

In 1986 when Halley returned we ran a public star party to celebrate the comets return and promote the hobby. We had around 20 scopes all set up in a carpark of a local leasure spot and on more than one night folk turned up by the coach loads.

We were there from 6pm through to 11pm, and on the last night it got down to around -8c if memory serves me correctly. We had frost on the scope, and most of the batteries died. Most of us were resembling the mitchlin man because we had so many layers on but still couldn't feel our fingers or toes... If it had been private observing session I would of called it a night long before the frost had formed, but as it was in support of a good cause we all stuck it out !

sorry, i wont call you a wimp, there is no way i would even give it a second thought, i think you should enjoy a hobby, not endure it

Same here! Mind you the coldest I've been out in was the wrong side of -30 C....though that wasn't in the UK :)

Coldest I was out in last winter was about -15, with a full set of HellyHansen thermals, two pairs of socks with proper hiking boots, jeans, tracksuit, waterproof rain pants, t-shirt, longsleeve t-shirt, hoodie, rainjacket and a leather overcoat. I had a wooly cap and two hoods, and a pair of ski mittens and it was a pleasure to observe sitting down on the stepstool or even just lying in the frosty grass looking up. I called it a night at the stage where I couls no longer feel my fingers to use the keypad.

Just come inside myself as the cloud has started to drift in. Probably for the best as I'm feeling a bit chilly now and I've had a stinking cold all this week. Not the best seeing this evening, but opportunities to get out have been a bit thin on the ground of late, so I'll take what I can get.

James

Archived