Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

SionR25

What telescope to buy?

Go to a decent store that sells decent scopes (not Jessops) and see them for yourself. It's quite different to see the size in the flesh compared to photos. Also keep an eye out for a 2nd hand bargain too, ebay can have some great bargains but just because it's on there does not mean it's cheap. Always check back here before you buy if you see something as the guys n girls on here will keep you right for sure.

Don't worry about the flatness of the ground. People take Dobsnoians all over the place the whole time. The reason they're cheap is because the mount is low and stable. It's hard to get achieve that with a tripod. If it's really a concern then the best thing to do would be to provide a stable surface for the existing base, rather than change the mount. For example, a 3/4" plywood square with ground stakes attached at the four corners. Bang that into the ground and place the dob on top. I've never needed that, but's in an option.

Again, thank you for all the replies but I have another question :icon_eek:. With the sale of one of my camera lenses I will have about £30 more than needed for the 150p. Are there any accessories or any 'must haves' you recommend getting along with a new telescope?

Thanks again :).

Some sort of red-dot (reflex) finder such as a Telrad. Most people feel that finderscopes are a pain to use. Other than that, a good star atlas such as the Sky and Telescope Pocket Atlas.

I have found the skywatcher 150p on an eq3-2 mount for £150. I presume it is the same scope as on the dobsonian so is this a good buy?

Hi again :icon_scratch:

I have received a nice donation from my dad which has pushed my budget up to around £350. With this i was thinking of getting the skyliner 200p and some eyepieces and a barlow. Is this a good way to go or is there something that will serve me better in my budget.

Thanks again

the 200p is a good choice. lots of people recommend them for a good reason - they're great. like others have said, a telrad or a rigel quickfinder are nice to have. regarding eyepieces, i'd save your money and wait and see what you really think you need when you've used the scope for a while. same with a barlow - i'm not a big fan myself, but wait and see if you think you need one. a map/book is nice - turn left at orion gets recommended a lot, and i like the cambridge double star atlas, as well as colins gem "stars" book.

have you seen these scopes in the flesh? i just wonder if, having seen the camera tripod question, you might get the shock of your life with the boxes for the 200p roll up.

btw - the 150p on the eq3-2 is pretty much the same scope, though it has a shorter focal length (ie. it will magnify less for a given eyepiece focal length). this probably doesn't matter for dsos, where lots of mag isn't really necessary. i will say that the eq3-2 will be less stable than the dob base, and harder to use. though it makes tracking objects easier.

also, think about a collimation tool. cheshire eyepieces are nice, and about 25-30 quid.