SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn, first time

What a fantastic night/early morning I had, first time out with my telescope ( Skywatcher 250px), wonderful view (for me) of Saturn, I'm absolutey blown away to actually be looking live at such a beautiful sight. I didn't give in until I felt completey frozen, it was 4am.

Bucker

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still have yet to Saturn or anything in a scope, these interesting reports spur me on to keep saving up for a scope. Glad you had a great time

You have a set of 20x80 bins. Forget about planets right now. There is soooooo much more you can observe with those bad boys. Galaxies will show up but only as "faint fuzzies"...............which are still brilliant to observe. Nebulae are also possible........the larger ones.

Saturn will appear as a small egg shaped object. Jupiter will appear as a very big bright "star" and you will also see its 4 main moons as smaller points of light.

As if seeing it for the first time (with my 90mm scope) wasnt exciting enough. When i saw it again last week (for the first time with an 8" scope)..................was just something else.

im looking foward to this as well, the last time i seen it,it was through a 6" so should be good in my 9.25. glad you had a good time buddy, thats to the original poster

What a fantastic night/early morning I had, first time out with my telescope ( Skywatcher 250px), wonderful view (for me) of Saturn, I'm absolutey blown away to actually be looking live at such a beautiful sight. I didn't give in until I felt completey frozen, it was 4am.

Bucker

Now that's what I call dedication! Well done.

I managed my first look at Saturn last night before I packed up at 1.30am (minus 8). I waited for it to break over the trees before went back indoors. I only have a 3" refracter, but was so impressed since I have been waiting a while for Saturn to make it's appearance 'early enough'.

Saturn was my first planet and i'll never forget that image but that was last summer and i now have a 7mm tmb planetary ep, it looks sooooo much better now + i think saturns rings are tilted more at this time of the year so it is a bit easier to pick detail out from them.

Jupiter is also an amazing sight. On a good night the bands are easily visable.

Happy hunting +clear skies.

D.C

My first time seeing Saturn thru a scope last night. Totally impresive. Spent about 2hours looking until the clouds came about 2.30.

Had a really good night. Saw Venus and Jupiter early on, went out for a birthday party and came back to see Mars up high and Saturn creeping over the horizon and pratically no cloud.:)

An excellent evening all round.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a great feeling isn't it Bucker - I was up early last Sunday morning to get a first-look look at Saturn with my 4SE and I ended up spending over an hour observing it manually ie in my haste to be observing I didn't waste any time levelling and aligning the scope at all haha ; ) Next stop is a big dob for me I think; the 250PX looks like my best bet right now : )

When I was around 12 I had a basic entry level scope an unbranded 90mm refractor. I managed to locate Jupiter and was able to resolve the disk and some moons (no detail). Then I noticed there was a not so bright "star" quite close. Pointed the 'scope at it (and after a lot of juggling) brought into view - was totally blown away by the fact that it was saturn, the rings were quite open - so it looked like images from a book.

I think it was that discovery that made me carry on, and probably brought me back to astronomy many years later. It's just plain awesome!

Archived