Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starguider ED 8mm

jimmyjamjoejoe

So i ordered a BST 8mm from skys the limit, and today i received a Starguider 8mm instead.

They look identical, except the rings are not green, but instead gold. Obviously they're made in the same place using the same equipment etc.

I'm just trying to find out if there is a difference in quality - other "clones" of certain eyepieces are almost the same, but are subject to different quality standards etc.

So what do we reckon? Should i send it back and demand a BST? Or is it likely to be fine as it is?

Alan says it's the same eyepiece, just a different name on it as sent from the factory in China, like other releases of it, the colour bands vary in colour depending on what name it is branded under. Personally, I like the 'BST Explorer' branding. But be assured, it is the same eyepiece.

The eyepiece is branded with 4 different names that I have heard of. TS have theirs branded "TS". Astro Tech have Astro Tech on theirs, looks like Alan purchased ones with BST on (wonder why?), and for some reason this shipment have Starguider on.

Like RWilkey I like the simple BST.

The one common point is that immaterial of the name they seem held in good regard, there are better but not at a compariable cost.

The "problem" is that if you buy more and they are marked BST the collection looks a little odd.

Think I will go now and serach for "starguider eyepieces" and see who and where they are sold in the world.

Quick search and it seems that many retailers are posting saying "BST Explorers branded as Skyguider".

Wonder if there has been a forced name change?

Thanks guys, good to know.

I did search before posting and found the same about them being rebranded, it was on ebay on sale by skys the limit.

I'm not too fussed about the collection looking weird, so long as the difference is only aesthetic and i still get the much raved about BST views, then i'm a happy chappy.

Now if only i had time tonight to give it a first light... :)

More info on the branding, apparently, there has been some problem with the branding 'Explorer' as someone else appears to have the rights on it so Starguider has now been chosen by the powers that be.

These eyepieces are the same as the Olivon EDs (Green Witch about £90 -100 each) and the Astrotech Paradigms in the US. So the 'Starguider' is still great value for money in my view.

SCS Astro have the same ones branded as Orion Epic II ED eyepieces for £79+£5.75 P&P.

STL's come out at half that.:icon_scratch::eek::)

I am still trying to work out which Chinese manufacturer makes them.

Cannot see the eyepiece on any of the "standard" ones.

SCS Astro have the same ones branded as Orion Epic II ED eyepieces for £79+£5.75 P&P.

STL's come out at half that.:):eek::)

I am still trying to work out which Chinese manufacturer makes them.

Cannot see the eyepiece on any of the "standard" ones.

Anything with the "Orion" (USA) branding seems to take a price hike. They do versions of the Nirvana eyepieces too but, again, they are more expensive than the Skywatcher branded ones :icon_scratch:

hope there as well built as i sent mine flying across the floor tonite, after accidently knocking it off the tray. scratched the outer rubber a bit ,but as long as ive not done any damage to the optics im not bothered about cosmetics.

Archived