SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrofest 2012 - what a let down !

malc-c

Crewe is about the middle of the UK which is why the railways ended up with the major junctions there. I do consider myself a northerner though.

I want an Atik 314 for that show price, I'm hoping some of the dealers will want to clear stock for the 428's etc and I can bag one cheaply.

I also think that Orion optics should give Crewe residents a huge discount :icon_scratch: I'd love an AG8 or AG10.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You cannot have it both ways... you said Watford isn't North... for you Iceland is barely above you! :icon_scratch:

Somehow, Cheshire people may be undecided by "Crewe! North!"... :)

You did say "Nobody"..... ahem! I beg to differ....

just jokes! :)

I'm actually from S.O.T myself so an Astrofest anywhere in the Midlands would suit me just fine. Funny, when I live in Stoke i considered myself as Northern, but now if you live in inverness your from Sooth! :)

I mean't nobody at 59 degrees North :D

I know..... being a southernised northerner, I appreciate that the majority of events are due south... Thank god for the internet

Why anything S. of B'gham is the norm is beyond me... surely a venue can be found?

:icon_scratch:

It was my first Astrofest and my thoughts were that the talks were a bit overpriced to tempt me in, it was too warm (inside and too cold out) and too cramped. On the up side, I got to meet some of my suppliers face to face, which was great. One of whom was Bernard, who had arranged a custom lathe job for me and I picked that up and had a chat.

I also made use of the fantastic Astrofest only offer from Atik and walked away with a 314L+ (colour) for £859 (£310 off) after having a pleasant chat with Steve Chambers, who even gave me a couple of beanie hats for my daughters!

It was a very worthwhile visit. I guess my small (first timer) gripes are aimed at the organisers regarding venue and price rather than our suppliers, who I think work very hard to keep us lot supplied.

Your the 4th person I know got the same deal on a 314L .. Lucky you :)

What a cracking price... :icon_scratch:

Shame they cannot be a bit more central with these shows, anything south of Birmingham is just too expensive travel-wise, NEC would be an ideal place IMHO but as usual everyone thinks everything revolves around London :icon_scratch:

I've been twice now and find it (at weekends) horribly crowded and I feel claustrophobic. It's far too stuffy so I feel ill after a while! I was at the SPM book signing and the queue was so long it took two hours to get there. Poor Patrick was exhausted. I think they should put a limit on the numbers of books for sale. It wasn't much better at the Brian Cox book signing either. He did seem a bit strained when I got there! The lectures are good, though I feel overpriced. I don't go to get equipment so I can't really comment there. But it's just too crowded to concentrate. I don't think I'll go again unless they get a much bigger venue. Shame, as it could be excellent all round and I'd be a regular!

Alexxx

Perhaps with astronomy in general enjoying a renaissance the organisers would like to consider a more central and larger location. It's possible to hire very small sections of the NEC and it doesn't get more central than there.

Didn't go this year for the first time in ages. Main reason wasn't Kensington Town Hall or the event itself - I've never failed to enjoy that. Mostly it's the tube and weekend engineering works, which means getting to Kensington High St. on a Saturday can be a real pain. Last year was horrible!

Personally, I would happily drive from my Berkshire base to somewhere like Birmingham for the event, provided I didn't have to rely on public transport and could park my car.

I was lucky enough to attend NEAF outside New York a few years ago and that's an even bigger event with the exhibition hosted in a suburban High School gym. Works brilliantly and goes to show that you don't really need a prestige, city centre location to host these events.

Alan

I was lucky enough to attend NEAF outside New York a few years ago and that's an even bigger event with the exhibition hosted in a suburban High School gym. Works brilliantly and goes to show that you don't really need a prestige, city centre location to host these events.

Alan

I don't think any secondary schools in the UK has gym big enough to house the Astrofest.

Maybe not, but there are Universities, sports centres, etc. The point is that if it's cost effective to do so, there are alternatives to city centre locations. NEAF is probably the biggest amateur astronomy exhibition/conference in the World and they do it in a High School, albeit a big one.

Maybe not, but there are Universities, sports centres, etc. The point is that if it's cost effective to do so, there are alternatives to city centre locations. NEAF is probably the biggest amateur astronomy exhibition/conference in the World and they do it in a High School, albeit a big one.

Same thing happens in German for the ATT event. School based in the Gym hall etc...

But alas it will never happen since Londoner get a noise bleed if they pass the Watford services.:):D:D

But alas it will never happen since Londoner get a noise bleed if they pass the Watford services.:):D:D

That's unfair we have been seen as far North as Northampton, though breathing equipment and cold weather gear is needed, along with translation aids :)

• 1 month later...

I've been to astrofest on and off since 1992 and almost invariably always surprised that the Astronomy Now team have not changed location to 'better' this two day event to accommodate extra stalls, and breathing room. It's the same carbon copy every year, apart from the excellent lectures. I love it as this is the UK's only big Astromomy fair for the year. But again it getts far too busy on a Saturday to fully enjoy the whole experience.

In someways I always hope there will be a changes, Venue and even the time of year it is held! I mean Mid Winter in centre of London is not ideal unless you live close by. Based in Nottingham, the weather alone with threatening snow storms gives me anxiety about travel on the trains to even actullay get there. I did politely ask the Astronomy Now Team via Facebook why they have the conference/ exhibition in mid Winter and they deleted my post! So much for feedback.

Brendan :-)

Moving to a bigger location carries the problem of a higher hire charge, if just the same number turn up then possibly a loss to the organisers and the possibility of no astrofest. If they push the entry price up then again possibly less people and a loss and no more astrofest.

NEC isn't exactly cheap and although you could get a small section you would really have to have at least 2 sections, exhibition and talks - cost has just gone up.

How many extra would go, compared to how many wouldn't travel up. London is a huge catchment area. I am north of London but £22 and I have a ticket there and back. At the NEC it is more then that just to drive, then comes the parking costs. For a day at an Astro show at the NEC I would expect the cost to be £50-60 easily overall, and that is based on experience of several other shows there.

It is said that the population of London is 8million, Birmingham 1million. So 1/8 the people to visit. I would guess that 80% of those that visit Astrofest would not travel to the NEC.

How many of the speakers are conveniently located in London = low cost for them. Otherwise you are paying for their travel and accomodation costs. Hotels at NEC are again not cheap.

It is all an economic gamble, go bigger and possibly fold. Maybe if the organiser did a second show as mentioned in the Autumn at a bigger venue as a trial. Will admit that an extra floor at Kensington would be good. Possibly a rearrangement of the retailers would help.

Wonder if a third day would ease the situation, say Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Archived