Narrowband

What is this constellation?

freelander86

Comes out nicely in pics as well..

The cluster is passing through some interstellar dust at the moment, hence the nebulosity.

Olly

Show-off! :):D:D

Actually that's a brilliant image you've posted there, tons of detail and lovely colours!

The Pleiades aka 'Seven Sisters' aka 'Subaru' aka 'M45' probably has more names than any other feature in the sky - as well it ought to. If to you it immediately looks like a 'constellation' - i.e. separate stars in a definite arrangement - you've got better eyes than I have - though I can usually resolve into six stars in clear skies, if I concentrate and give myself time to dark-adapt. But binoculars or the lowest power on a refractor give far the best view.

Hi,

What is this group of stars? I have looked on many apps and the skyX but it doesnt appear to be named...

As an aside, if you're struggling to locate them on a star chart, some charts (Stellarium included) show the Pleiades as being part of, or on the edge of Taurus.

There's a good photo on the Wikipedia page for the constellation of Taurus that illustrates what I mean:

Taurus (constellation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit for spelling

Archived