Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which 15x70?

Grunthos

EDIT: Title of post should read "Which larger binocular?"

OK, I confess, I have binocular fever at the moment. :icon_eek:

I recently sold my Celestron 15x70 binocular. It was an OK-ish instrument but I was becoming increasingly aware of it's "shortcomings" (it's gone to a good home with a neighbours kid).

I currently have my grandfathers rugged old (nameless) Russian 8x30, a Helios Fieldmaster 8x40 (not impressed) and a recently acquired (grab and go) Strathspey marine 10x50.

Looking to acquire a larger binocular "sometime" in the next 4-6 months. It is intended to be a sort of larger grab and go instrument.

Rather spoiled for choice but have narrowed it down to the following (in very rough order of preference):

Helios Stellar 20x80 (£289)

Helios Quantum 4 25x100 (£275)

Helios Quantum 4 20x90 (£250)

Helios Quantum 4 20x80 (triplet) (£229)

Helios Stellar 15x70 (£280)

Helios Apollo 15x70 (£280)

I own (and, for now, am planning on sticking with) a Horizon 8115 tripod.

Was really looking for a comparison and constructive critique of the instruments (with a bit of VFM thrown in?). e.g what are the relative merits of Stellar vs Apollo vs Quantum 4, is the triplet glass really worthwhile...

(Steve, can you feel a new page or ammendment for your binocular web site coming on?:))

e.g what are the relative merits of Stellar vs Apollo
I used to own the Stellar; I now own the Apollo. No comparison; I don't see how they can justify charging the same for both. The Stellar is an OK bit of kit, but nothing special; I'd rate it above the usual Chinese fare. The Apollo is very good indeed, comparable to the Fujinon 16x70 in quality, for less than half the price..
(Steve, can you feel a new page or ammendment for your binocular web site coming on?:))
That's going to be on the back burner for the next month -- last night I agreed to cover in a local theatre group for an actor who had a heart attack at the weekend -- first night is less than 4 weeks away, so I have a tremendous amount of line-learning, etc. to do in a short time. (Anyone fancy seeing Pygmalion in Christchurch? :icon_eek:)

The Stellar range has now been discontinued, so unless you can find somone with a pair in stock you'll be unlucky. The prices for the Stellar were much lower, though that's not much use when no-one has them!

I've now got a pair of Quantum 4 15x70 on their way to me instead.

One overlooked set is the Visionary Neoma 15x70s

Just as good as the Q4s, and cost less (if you ask in the right places)

My Helios Q4 15x70 were just under £138 including delivery and aluminium case; from RVO. Will have to wait till clouds clear to get an idea of the quality of viewing.

I too have had an ongoing bout of binocular fever. I just bought some Opticron 20x80s. Personally my taste is for quality over quantity so would definitely choose the Apollos from your list. They'd also have the advantage of being more easily hand held for brief periods over the larger binos and if comparable to Fujinon's as Steve says are surely a bit of a bargain.

I just received a copy of Steve's book "Binocular Astronomy" and have pretty much devoured it over the weekend.

Must admit to trending towards the quality end of the spectrum. e.g. the Helios Apollo

Trouble is that now I am also looking at the 20x110 (at £479).

Mind you, Opticron binos look rather tasty as well.

It's only money...:)

Not sure about my Opticron 20x80s yet. Had very little chance to use them but definitely more CA than I would have expected.

As for the Apollos I've been checking out ebay quite a lot recently and whilst you seem to get just about every make of binocular ever made I've never seen any of the Apollos listed on there. Perhaps a sign that the owners are happy with them and don't sell them very often? Also they're apparently hard to get hold of even in retailers according to a fairly recent post elsewhere on here.

The other interesting thing from perusing ebay is that decent binoculars really seem to hold their value. In fact some old pairs, like Carl Zeiss, are probably worth more now than when they were new judging by the prices they fetch.

So after all this you know what I decided to buy?

Opticron Imagic 10x50 TGA WP Porro Prism

There is method in my madness!:D

Firstly I realise that I need to save a bit more money to get those excellent optics in a larger binocular. The jury is still out on which one I will eventually buy:o(very probably a Helios Apollo).

Meanwhile, I've decided to buy another 10x50 with superior optics to my current bino. It will get a lot of use. I might even buy another 8x30...

Stevie what do you think of the quantum-4's? I'm also looking to get a pair of bins (next week in fact) and narrowed it down to these.

I just found a site that sells the Steller for £20 more, just wondering what the difference in optics etc would be...

You'll be lucky if the store has any Stellar binoculars in stock. Most sellers get them delivered by OVL who have no stock left and that range is discontinued. When I decided on the stellar I found they were going for £120 must have been a clearance price, shame I could not get them as most sellers said they were better than the quantum.

Have not had much time with the quantum, but they ooze quality compared with the Celestron 15x70 view seems sharper and crisper too.

I like the fact the diopter adjustment works for me, had problems with the Celestron, the eyepiece cup extends on each eye and takes a little getting used to. I could envisage some having issues with the eye relief as well-but all in all I'm glad I went up from the Celestron, had me biased against all the budget Chinese binoculars!

Archived