SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

vixen polarie mount is it better than astro track?

Daniel-K

i have been looking at the new vixen polarie mount and for the price it seems a cracker but it does what the astro track mounts do but at half the price i have seen the reviews and there very good just woundering if any one has any comments on this mount

There's some photos in the dso area taken with it. And I had a thread about all the different types of mount out at present. The only thing the at wins is the guiding port but I don't know of that makes a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main advantage of Astrotrac is the screw drive mechanism. It gets the PE down to a very low level, because it acts as a giant worm wheel. The Astrotrac can handle a small APO in addition to telephoto lens.

Polarie is designed for DSLR imaging with a short lens. It's drive mechanism won't be as accurate as an astrotrac. The load capacity is also much smaller. Vixen have the GP photoguider for heavier loads.

Just curious but I'm sure I read that it was going to be shown at Astrofest with stock arriving in Februrary.

Any ideas of who will be stocking them either in the UK or Europe?

Edit: OK Astronomia have them in stock.

I don't think anyone is going to question the performance of the astrorac, it's established itself fairly well based on how good it is.

But it's probably not entirely fair to compare the two in every aspect as they are two different designs completely.

As Olly said, Madjohn's pictures say a lot and if you are after something the size of a video cassette to slap on an already existing camera tripod then this seems to be a good choice.

I'm not knocking the astrotrac at all it's just another option to consider.

The only thing holding me back from purchasing either of the two is the terrible LP here and the fact I want a DMK 41 too and I can't have both(well I can but the wife would murder me if I spent near on 1000 quid in one go).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived