Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New arrival: ES82 8.8mm

Dunkster

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Though I would have thought it increases the chances of customs getting interested?

You should factor that in anyway. And the cost of shipping another eyepiece is almost the same as customs charges. If the seller declares the goods correctly which they are legally supposed to then you're likely to get hit with customs charges

I wouldn't want them to declare it as a gift or even not state it's true value as if it goes missing you have no come back

Try asking Hands On Optics for a price including shipping. They offered the 11mm delivered to Ireland for about $110 late last year, Absolutely fantastic offer. To make it better, no VAT/tax! Needless to say, I was deleighted!

You should factor that in anyway. And the cost of shipping another eyepiece is almost the same as customs charges. If the seller declares the goods correctly which they are legally supposed to then you're likely to get hit with customs charges

I wouldn't want them to declare it as a gift or even not state it's true value as if it goes missing you have no come back

I must have struck lucky this time :)

I've just been looking this up and our allowance is £390 before needing to pay tax and duty - if carrying the stuff in. Any items higher in value than that, for example, a beastie TeleVue, then we pay approx 25% of the value in duty+vat. I don't mind that at all, it still works out cheaper than buying over here if you happen to be travelling (I might be taking a trip soon)

• 3 weeks later...

ES82 8.8mm meet your slightly longer sibling, 11mm ;)

11mm arrived, it's only slightly larger than the 8.8 and slightly heavier.

Was really impressed with the 8.8mm + Mars/Saturn the other night, so look forward to a little 11mm + Moon when the clouds agree ;)

I've only had 1 1/2 sessions with them so far thanks to the wind :)

First impressions are good, although only planetary - very crisp disc of Mars the night I was fortunate enough to have really good seeing. The 11mm just gives a smaller image. So far I haven't noticed any of the flaring with the 8.8, although I'm not saying it isn't there, I was so entranced by Mars and Saturn (kept in the centre of field by my goto) that I didn't notice it.

One thing I noticed with the 11mm was that I really struggled to see the whole of the Moon... I must not have been peering correctly, or my eyes just aren't capable of 82* :D

I look forward to getting out of the LP at some point in the next month or so for some star field analysis :hello2:

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you like your ES Dunkster, ~I'm the same - really pleased - so much so thtat the 20mm 100* has landed on my doorstep!

But with a newborn baby will I ever be outside at night again???

To see the flaring on the 8.8mm, simply let a bright object (Mars will do) drift out of view and then watch the light show. It is certainly a fault which would particularly impact lunar observations, but a lot of eyepieces show similar artifacts for bright objects which are just out of field.

My Baader Hyperion 17mm is almost as bad, so much so that I gave up looking for galaxies near Mars with it the other evening. My Orthos, the Vixen NPLs and the Explore 68 25mm are much less affected.

I understand that the problem in the ES82 8.8mm can be cured by a paper baffle, just smaller than the field lens, but I have not tried it, yet.

@Jinx - wow a newborn AND the weather to contend with... you might as well hand the 20 over now :)

Hopefully the weather will cooperate again soon and I'll be able to road test some more. I hadn't noticed the flare yet, Chris, my little goto was trying its best to keep Mars centred :) I must try it out on the Moon and see!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived