Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New arrival: ES82 8.8mm

Dunkster

Sorry for the clouds, folks...

After much toil, I decided to take the chance. The new arrival is an Explore Scientific 82 degree FOV 8.8mm. The next nearest I have is the bundled 9mm Celestron :icon_salut:

Will report back as soon as we clear the sky :)

PS sorry for the poor camera phone pics!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you order this direct from one of the websites in the USA? If so did you get stung for customs in the UK and what was the postage cost? The low price of these eyepieces appeals to me and the reviews on CN makes it look like a good choice for use in my F6 dob, I could do with one to replace a SW 66 9mm eyepiece and fill the void between my 14mm Speer-Waler and the 6mm SPL.

I'm really looking forward to having a look through this, as it'll be my first 82 degree experience! Sadly, snow is forecast so not got my hopes to high for the coming days.

If I enjoy the wider experiencec, I might look into getting other sizes... 24mm and maybe 11 or 14. I don't really have the budget for the real-deal TV, and to be honest not sure I would be able to tell the difference :icon_salut: especially coupled with my Mak/SCT. It's all a learning experience, but if they're as good as the CN reviews, then I'll be happy with the price I paid. I figure if I'm not overwhelmed, then I'll take the safe bet (BST explorer) next time around.

@John - must be my dodgy "photography" :) this is going to sound funny, but it's actually smaller than I expected, but plenty of weight behind it.

@Hypernova - yes, ordered from the USA, didn't get stung this time, but I had factored that into the cost I was prepared to pay (just!). If I get another and get the dreaded card, I won't feel too bad about it.

I've had a couple of the es eyepieces the 11mm 82* and the 9mm 100* and they were both stunning. Prepare yourself as your going to want more. With the recent tv price rises these are even better value for money as they are IMO 95% of tv performance for a fraction of the price

....Correction on the 24mm ideas, it's 2.1lbs in weight :icon_salut:

That is heavy for a 24mm. The Nagler 31 and UWAN / Nirvana 28mm weigh 2.2 lbs each though as does the Ethos 21mm.

There is a lot of glass in these things - 2 of the lenses inside the Nagler are around 80mm in diameter !

The thing about big expensive eyepieces is... I'd have to set up a net around the telescope to catch it if I slipped, and i'd live in fear of dropping it taking it out or putting it in. I'd also fear pointing my telescope to objects more than a few degrees up in the sky, lest it slip out somehow!

Congrats on your new arrival - i've just had my ES 9mm 2" 100 degree through and of course no views!

post-33051-13387772982_thumb.jpg

These things are huge!

post-33051-133877729825_thumb.jpg

Cost was approx £245 including shipping and import duties and that was 3-5 days from the states. So even with fees they are a great price!

Eek! Hadn't really paid much attention to a more extravagant EP before, but ethos 21mm is almost $900 :icon_salut: I really would be worried about that. Makes the ES100 20mm look like a bargain at :) only 400

Prolly getting a little ahead of myself here, but should I really be concerned about the weight on the 6SE? Not too worried by the 8.8, let's just hope I never see a 100 ;)

The thing about big expensive eyepieces is... I'd have to set up a net around the telescope to catch it if I slipped, and i'd live in fear of dropping it taking it out or putting it in.....

That is a point - I still carry my Nagler 31mm to and from my scopes with both hands :icon_salut:

Oh and Dunkster, ES have the 28mm 120 degree coming out - preorder special is 1/3 off list price - down to $999.

That's right list price of $1500 - I can't work out which is heavier - the EP or the wallet to pay for it!

Will be following this, let us know how you get on with the EP, cant really find any decent reviews on these EP's!

Feedback would be great.

Ian,

I have the 11mm and the 14mm and in my F5 they are excellent. Nice FOV and sharp.

I haven't looked through a TV but they are great EPs, especially at that price.

Barry

That is a point - I still carry my Nagler 31mm to and from my scopes with both hands :icon_salut:

I'm sorry... carry???!!

Mine would be transported by a crate on a track system until it reached the mount... it would then be hoisted up in a sealed bucket until near the viewfinder. From there, it would be taken out in catcher's mits, and then it would be placed in the eyepiece holder whilst 5 guys spread a fireman's trampoline underneath.

Oh and Dunkster, ES have the 28mm 120 degree coming out - preorder special is 1/3 off list price - down to $999.

That's right list price of $1500 - I can't work out which is heavier - the EP or the wallet to pay for it!

:icon_salut::);) that's more than both my scopes cost :(:D:)

I have the 11mm and the 14mm and in my F5 they are excellent. Nice FOV and sharp.

That's really good to know too... I'm thinking next season/year or two away when I may have a darker sky above me I'll be looking at a nice sized dob :icon_salut:

I have the 4.7, 8.8 and 14. They are all short of eye relief for spectacles. The 14mm is actually the worst for eye relief, despite the specification, because the concave eye lens is so deep in the housing. It also has a field which is too curved for my old eye, in my refractor at least. I may be keeping a 15mm Hyperion (actually a 17mm tuned down to about 15mm) instead.

The ES68 25mm is lovely!

They are very good value. Importing from the US I paid the usual fees for VAT and import duty and these can be checked beforehand. For one lot of lens, the postal charges were $50, but for the other lot an exorbitant $70 (but I had to go to High Point to get a genuine TMB Planetary). It does not make sense to buy lenses one at a time, because of the post and packing and handling charges....

Archived